Skip to main content

Student visa

Student visa

To apply for a Student visa you will need to meet specific criteria and obtain 'points'.

To be eligible for a Student visa, you must obtain 70 points. These 70 points are obtained as follows:


A CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies from Royal Holloway


Documents demonstrating the required finances (living costs and tuition fees


Documents demonstrating you meet the English language requirements (or confirmation on your CAS that you meet these requirements)


50 points

10 points

10 points

A Student visa will cost £348 in your local currency but this fee may rise if you apply for the visa using your country’s premium/fast track services.

As part of the visa application you will need to:

  • Submit your online application form (unless you are applying from North Korea, where you will need to complete a paper application form)
  • Pay the immigration health surcharge (this is charged at £470 per year of leave)
  • Submit all of the required documentation for your application
  • Provide your biometrics
  • Decide where you would like your BRP to be delivered 

For the latest information on Student visas, make sure you visit the UK government website for the latest information.

Before applying for your Student visa, please check our visa application checklist for entry clearance applications.

To be ready to apply for your Student visa, follow the steps below:

Step one - You need to hold an unconditional offer to study at Royal Holloway

Step two – You must have paid all deposits due for your programme, and you must have firmly accepted your offer

Step three – You will be issued a CAS for your visa application. If you are applying from overseas you can apply for your Student visa up-to 6 months before your course's start date. If you are applying in the UK, you can only apply up-to 3 months before your course start date.

Step four - Applications are made online: applications made outside the UK and applications made inside the UK.

Required documents

There are certain documents that are required for your visa application to be successful. These documents will be needed at the point of making your visa application:

  • A current, valid passport or travel document
  • A Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number from Royal Holloway, University of London
  • Documents to show you have the correct finances (living costs + tuition fees)
  • Academic documents as listed on your CAS (including English Language certificate if applicable)

There are also documents that won’t apply to all applicants, but will be required under specific circumstances:

  • ATAS certificate - if applicable, some exemptions can be found here
  • Sponsor letter (if applicable – if you are sponsored for living costs and/or tuition fees then you will need a document proving this)
  • Consent letter from your parent(s)/guardian(s) if you are under 18 (if applicable)
  • TB test certificate (if applicable – the list of countries requiring this and the conditions are found here)
  • Original translations (if applicable – all translations must be officially undertaken, and the documents must also display the translator’s credentials, contact information, date, and signature)

If you are a national from a low-risk country applying in that country (and with that national passport), then you do not have to provide certain documents as part of the differentiation agreement. A list of nationals that do not need to provide certain documents can be found here (Paragraph ST 22.1)

You must still have the documents available in case you are asked for them, but you will not need to directly submit them.

Financial Evidence

You must provide documentary evidence demonstrating the required funds for a Student visa in one of the accepted formats listed in the immigration rules (Paragraph FIN 8.3).

You must be able to demonstrate:

Living costs of £12,006 (£1,334 per month up-to a maximum of 9 months) + 1 year tuition fees

The document you use to demonstrate your funds can be no older than 1 month old when you submit your immigration application. If your evidence is in a currency other than GBP, please use the currency conversion website OANDA to make sure the funds are at the correct level. We have created a couple of examples of acceptable documents for you that you can see here: example bank statement and example certificate of deposit.

To help you provide financial evidence, we recommend that you ask your bank to send you monthly postal bank statements. This way you will hopefully have a statement that will meet the necessary criteria each month.

If you are sponsored for your studies, you will need to provide an official sponsorship letter. It must confirm your name, programme, university, and must include the level of the sponsorship clearly in the text (e.g. “X sponsor will be covering all of Miss. Y’s tuition fees and living costs”).

A CAS is a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies. It is an electronic document that is used in your Student visa application. The document will have a number on it which you will write in your online visa application. This will allow the Home Office to match up the information in your visa application, to the information on your CAS which Royal Holloway has created for you.

Your CAS will list key details about you and your place at Royal Holloway such as:

  • Your name
  • Your date of birth
  • Your passport number
  • Your programme name
  • Your start and end dates
  • Royal Holloway’s sponsor licence number: WP5GJEXT0
  • Your tuition fees due
  • Your tuition fees paid
  • The documents the College has seen to make an academic assessment (usually academic certificates)
  • Your English Language proficiency
  • If the programme requires ATAS

It is extremely important that all of the details on the CAS are correct and up-to-date, and that you complete your visa application online with the exact details from your CAS. If you have any questions about your CAS, please contact the Admissions team (new students only).

Pre-sessional English Language Programme students

If you have applied for a pre-sessional English language programme, you will receive a CAS from Royal Holloway once you have met the conditions for both the pre-sessional programme, and your main programme of study.

We have two options when issuing a CAS:

1. A joint CAS, which covers both the degree programme and pre-sessional English language programme, if you have:

  • Met the academic requirement for your degree programme AND
  • Paid the deposit(s) for the degree programme AND
  • Paid the full tuition fee for the pre-sessional English language programme AND
  • Achieved 5.5 in each component of your IELTS test or above OR taken a UKVI approved test (SELT)* with one of the component scores below 5.5.

2. A single CAS which covers the pre-sessional English language programme (PELP) only. We will issue this if you cannot provide evidence of meeting the academic conditions of your degree programme before applying for your visa. On successful completion of your PELP, you would then have to apply for another CAS for your degree programme before you enrol on your degree programme.

We will issue this if you have:

  • Paid the deposit(s) for the degree programme AND
  • Paid the full tuition fee for the pre-sessional English language programme

Please note that 4 week PELP students will always receive a joint CAS.

It is possible that the Home Office will require you to have an interview before granting you a visa to come and study in the UK. Therefore you might be sent an email asking you to attend an interview as part of the application process. This is what is referred to as a “credibility interview”.

Credibility interviews: tips and guidance

You should check your email (including the 'junk' folder) regularly as your application is likely to be refused if you are asked to attend an interview and you do not do so without providing a reasonable explanation.

Interviews take place when you attend a visa application centre to give your biometric information and are normally conducted by video link with a caseworker in the UK. The caseworker will ask you about your degree, where you want to study, why you chose Royal Holloway, and your wider reasons for studying in the UK. You may also be asked wider questions about your visa and education history, and/or financial circumstances. The report of the interview will be sent to the Entry Clearance Officer who will make the decision on your Student visa application.

The Entry Clearance Officer must be satisfied that you are a genuine student, and that your English language ability is at the correct level, otherwise you might be called for a further interview and/or your entry clearance application may be refused.

Find out more

When you apply for a visa from outside of the UK you will have a 30 day entry clearance vignette (sticker) issued in your passport. You will also receive a decision letter which will advise you where you can collect your new Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) in the UK.

What is a BRP card?

A BRP is a plastic card, similar in size to a credit card. It will show your visa expiry date, as well as any restrictions/prohibitions on work and will allow you to enter and leave the UK without restriction.

You must collect your BRP within ten days of arriving in the UK. We recommend you state on your visa application to collect your BRP from Royal Holloway. 

You must collect your BRP card by taking your passport and decision letter to the designated place in person. Only the named individual on the card, or a family member who is 18 years or older may collect the BRP, provided they travelled to the UK with you. A family member will need to provide evidence that you travelled together. It is very important to check the details are correct on your BRP when you collect it.

Where will I collect my BRP from?

To ensure your BRP is delivered to the College, you should enter our Alternative Collection Location (ACL) code onto the relevant section of your visa application form. Our ACL code is 2HE482.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding your BRP card, please email the International Student Support Office at


If you are a current student at Royal Holloway and you are needing to apply for a new Student visa from overseas (e.g. returning from interruption, changing course), you will need to apply for a CAS from Student Administration.

To do this, please follow this link and complete the online request form. Make sure you attach a scanned copy of your passport photo page in your CAS request. You also need to provide evidence that you have left the UK by providing an exit/arrival stamp or flight details, and giving details of your most recent UK visa.

We recommend you ask for your new CAS three months before your current visa expires. For further assistance, please contact the International Student Support Office.

If in the unlikely event your visa is refused by the Home Office please make sure that you notify the College as soon as possible. To do this, please email a copy of the whole refusal letter that you received along with your Royal Holloway student ID number to the Admissions team ( and the International Student Support Office ( We will then take a look at your refusal and help advise you on what steps to take next.

Once we have spoken with you about your refusal, we will usually look for you to provide new documentation to us so that we can make sure you are ready to apply again. Only once we have reviewed new documents will a new CAS be issued. Please do not try to re-apply with your old CAS.

Explore Royal Holloway

Get help paying for your studies at Royal Holloway through a range of scholarships and bursaries.

There are lots of exciting ways to get involved at Royal Holloway. Discover new interests and enjoy existing ones

Heading to university is exciting. Finding the right place to live will get you off to a good start

Whether you need support with your health or practical advice on budgeting or finding part-time work, we can help

Discover more about our 21 departments and schools

Find out why Royal Holloway is in the top 25% of UK universities for research rated ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’

Royal Holloway is a research intensive university and our academics collaborate across disciplines to achieve excellence.

Discover world-class research at Royal Holloway

Discover more about who we are today, and our vision for the future

Royal Holloway began as two pioneering colleges for the education of women in the 19th century, and their spirit lives on today

We’ve played a role in thousands of careers, some of them particularly remarkable

Find about our decision-making processes and the people who lead and manage Royal Holloway today