Skip to main content


If you hold a Student visa, you may be able to have your family in the UK with you as your dependants.

If you hold a Student visa, you may be able to have your family in the UK with you as your dependants.

You can bring your family members to the UK as you study if:

  • You are studying at a higher education provider with a track record of compliance
  • You are studying full-time on a course 9 months or longer at Postgraduate level OR you are studying full-time on a course 6 months or longer and you are a government-sponsored student 
  • Your current or most recent immigration permission was as a Tier 4 (General)/Student visa holder

You (the student) must be over 18, and your family must be classified as dependants under UK immigration rules (spouse and/or children only).

When your dependant’s visa is granted, they will usually be granted permission to work without restrictions. Make sure you check the BRP carefully when it is collected for the working conditions and other conditions of leave.

Your dependants can apply at the same time as your Student application, or they can apply to join you in the UK once your Student visa has been granted. Your dependants must always make their first application in their home country (subsequent extensions can be made in the UK).

Each dependant must complete a separate application form, and pay a fee equivalent to £348 in local currency.

Applications are made online through the Access UK system. 

Each dependant must meet UKVI’s financial requirements under Student rules. The funds can be   held by the dependant themselves or you (the student).

The living cost figure for each dependant for Royal Holloway is £845 (Inner London) per month of immigration permission the student has been granted/will be granted, up to a maximum of 9 months.

For example:

  • if the student is applying for a 12 month MSc, each dependant must show £7,605 (£875 x 9 months)
  • If your dependants are joining the student in the UK for the remaining 4 months of their PhD, each dependant must show £6,760 (£870 x 8 months when taking into account the 4-month wrap up leave period)

For further help and guidance, please visit UKCISA’s webpage on Dependants, or contact the International Student Support Office.

Explore Royal Holloway

Get help paying for your studies at Royal Holloway through a range of scholarships and bursaries.

There are lots of exciting ways to get involved at Royal Holloway. Discover new interests and enjoy existing ones

Heading to university is exciting. Finding the right place to live will get you off to a good start

Whether you need support with your health or practical advice on budgeting or finding part-time work, we can help

Discover more about our 21 departments and schools

Find out why Royal Holloway is in the top 25% of UK universities for research rated ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’

Royal Holloway is a research intensive university and our academics collaborate across disciplines to achieve excellence.

Discover world-class research at Royal Holloway

Discover more about who we are today, and our vision for the future

Royal Holloway began as two pioneering colleges for the education of women in the 19th century, and their spirit lives on today

We’ve played a role in thousands of careers, some of them particularly remarkable

Find about our decision-making processes and the people who lead and manage Royal Holloway today