Discover key facts about Royal Holloway.
- Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2021 - we were ranked within the top 25% of all UK research in Research Excellence Framework 2021.
UK league table rankings
- The Guardian University Guide 2022 - we were ranked 22nd.
- The Complete University Guide 2022 - we were ranked 24th.
- The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2022 - we were ranked 26th.
- Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings 2022 - we were ranked in the top 400 universities in the world and 40th overall in the UK. In the category of ‘International Outlook’, we were ranked 29th in the UK.
- We scored above the sector average in the National Student Survey (NSS) 2021, with an overall satisfaction rating of 77%.
- We have a total of 11,480 students (at December 2021).
- Of these, 8,901 are from the UK (including Channel Islands and I.O.M), 757 are from the European Union (EU), and 1,822 are international (outside the EU) students.
- We have 9,533 undergraduates, 1,302 postgraduate taught and 645 postgraduate research students.
(Figures shown are full-time equivalent. Excludes Writing-up PhD students. We are expecting a small additional intake in January 2022 and figures will be updated at that time.)
- We have 1,770 established members of staff working at Royal Holloway across academic, administrative and support areas.
- In addition, we have visiting teachers, student interns and student staff who work across campus. (Dec 2020). Our staff widely represent countries across the world.
- There are over 95,000 alumni of Bedford College, Royal Holloway College and Royal Holloway and Bedford New College worldwide.
- Notable alumni include novelist George Eliot, suffragette Emily Davison, the first woman doctor in the west Dr Elizabeth Blackwell, actor Mark Strong, EU Foreign Minister Baroness Cathy Ashton, broadcaster and scientist David Bellamy and Paralympic triple gold medallist Sophie Christiansen
- With our spectacular Founder’s Building and famous Picture Gallery, our campus is frequently named as one of the most beautiful campuses in the world
- It’s situated in 135 acres of parkland in Egham, Surrey.
- This is 19 miles from central London and seven miles from Heathrow Airport.
- We also have the Royal Holloway London Graduate School at Bedford Square, Stewart House and Senate House in Bloomsbury.
Income and expenditure
See Financial information for details of where our money comes from and how we spend it and our overall economic impact.
Our motto and coat of arms
- Our coat of arms celebrates the heritage of Bedford College, founded in 1849 by Elizabeth Jesser Reid and Royal Holloway College, founded in 1886 by Thomas Holloway
- The two colleges merged in 1985 to form who we are today - Royal Holloway, University of London
- Our motto ‘Esse quam videri’ means 'to be rather than to seem'.