Discover key facts about Royal Holloway.
- Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014 - we were ranked within the top 25% of universities in the UK for research rated ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent'
UK league table rankings
- The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2021 - we were ranked 22nd
- The Complete University Guide 2021 - we were ranked 24th
- The Guardian University Guide 2021 - we were ranked 32nd
- Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings 2021 - we were ranked in the top 350 universities in the world and 38th overall in the UK. In the category of ‘International Outlook’, we were ranked 25th in the UK.
- We scored above the sector average in the National Student Survey (NSS) 2021, with an overall satisfaction rating of 77%.
- We have a total of 11,124 students (at February 2021).
- Of these, 9,674 are from the UK or European Union, 1,883 are international (outside the EU) students and 23 are from the Channel Islands & I.O.M.
- We have 9,223 undergraduates, 1,690 postgraduate taught and 667 postgraduate research students.
(Figures shown are full-time equivalent. Excludes Writing-up PhD students. Total includes our main intake, measured in December 2020, and a small additional intake in January 2021.)
- We have 1,770 established members of staff working at Royal Holloway across academic, administrative and support areas.
- In addition, we have visiting teachers, student interns and student staff who work across campus. (Dec 2020). Our staff widely represent countries across the world.
- There are over 95,000 alumni of Bedford College, Royal Holloway College and Royal Holloway and Bedford New College worldwide.
- Notable alumni include novelist George Eliot, suffragette Emily Davison, the first woman doctor in the west Dr Elizabeth Blackwell, actor Mark Strong, EU Foreign Minister Baroness Cathy Ashton, broadcaster and scientist David Bellamy and Paralympic triple gold medallist Sophie Christiansen
- With our spectacular Founder’s Building and famous Picture Gallery, our campus is frequently named as one of the most beautiful campuses in the world
- It’s situated in 135 acres of parkland in Egham, Surrey.
- This is 19 miles from central London and seven miles from Heathrow Airport.
- We also have a central London base at Bedford Square in Bloomsbury.
Income and expenditure
See Financial information for details of where our money comes from and how we spend it.
Our motto and coat of arms
- Our coat of arms celebrates the heritage of Bedford College, founded in 1849 by Elizabeth Jesser Reid and Royal Holloway College, founded in 1886 by Thomas Holloway
- The two colleges merged in 1985 to form who we are today - Royal Holloway, University of London
- Our motto ‘Esse quam videri’ means 'to be rather than to seem'.