We use cookies on this site. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Close this message Find out more

Home > Study here home > Accommodation
More in this section Accommodation

Student Accommodation



At Royal Holloway we understand how important it is to find the right sort of accommodation for you as you become independent and set out on a new chapter in life. We have resources you will find useful in helping you find a suitable place to live whilst studying at Royal Holloway, whether it's in Halls (campus accommodation) or in the local area. 

** We are currently dealing with a very high volume of emails and calls, and are responding as quickly as we can. Please accept our apologies for any delays in our responses and thank you for your patience. **


New undergraduate students and non-degree seeking students



Continuing students



New postgraduate students, couples and family accommodation



Private sector




Accommodation in 2016/17 - Your top questions answered!


  • When will I hear whether I have been allocated accommodation?

    New undergraduates coming to Royal Holloway through Clearing, Adjustment or Insurance who are guaranteed accommodation will be contacted by Friday 26 August. Students coming through Clearing, Adjustment or Insurance who aren't guaranteed accommodation will hear from us by early September.

  • Am I guaranteed accommodation?

    Insurance applicants who applied for accommodation by midday on Wednesday 24 August are guaranteed an offer of accommodation.

    Clearing applicants who referred themselves to Royal Holloway via UCAS by 7am on Friday 19 August, and who applied for accommodation by midday on Wednesday 24 August are guaranteed an offer of accommodation.

  • If I reject my room offer, can I be offered another room?

    If you do not wish to accept the room offered to you the offer can be rejected via the Accommodation Portal. After you have rejected your offer, should you wish to be considered for a second offer please let us know so that we can add you to the Low Priority Waiting List of students seeking a second offer. Please note that second offers will not be made until all students falling within your 'student type' (e.g. new undergraduate) have received an offer (late August). We cannot guarantee whether accommodation will still be available for second offers, nor the location of the rooms.

  • Do I need to pay anything now?

    Usually students need to make a £300 prepayment when accepting their accommodation contract through the Accommodation Portal. The prepayment will then be deducted from your first term's accommodation fees.

    For contracts offered from Clearing onwards you will not be asked to make a prepayment in order to accept your accommodation contract. This means that when you come to pay your first term's accommodation fees you'll be required to pay the first instalment in full. Details of your termly accommodation fees can be viewed through your Offer in the Accommodation Portal.

Applying through Clearing 

As soon as your UCAS Track shows status 'U/F' please register with the Accommodation Portal and submit your application for Halls accommodation online. You will then be added to a waiting list to be contacted when a room becomes available.

Or if you prefer not to wait and to find your own accommodation please visit our private sector accommodation webpages.

Second year direct entrants

If you  are transferring from another university to Royal Holloway into your second year, please apply through the Accommodation Portal using the New Undergraduate student category (UGNEW).

Insurance applicants

If you have selected Royal Holloway as your insurance choice you will not be able to make an application for Halls accommodation until you are confirmed with us and should then follow the instructions for Clearing applicants.

Late Applicants

If you miss the application deadline you can still apply in the normal way but will not be considered until all of those who applied before the advertised deadlines have been made an offer of accommodation. It is very important that you make your application at the earliest possible opportunity.


The College has been formally accredited under the UUK Code of Practice, which is one of the approved codes of practice for Higher Education “managed and controlled” accommodation under the Housing Act 2004.






Student FAQs

If there's something you're not sure about, please refer to our Student FAQs

Accommodation Portal

Through the Portal you can:

  • register for an accommodation account
  • submit an application for Halls accommodation
  • review your Halls accommodation details
  • submit a request to leave accommodation (form accepted from start of term)

Contact us

E. Student Services Centre

T. +44 (0)1784 276641


Comment on this page

Did you find the information you were looking for? Is there a broken link or content that needs updating? Let us know so we can improve the page.

Note: If you need further information or have a question that cannot be satisfied by this page, please call our switchboard on +44 (0)1784 434455.

This window will close when you submit your comment.

Add Your Feedback