Here’s a simple step-by-step guide to applying for a research degree.
Make informal enquiries
Contact the postgraduate administrator, or Director of Graduate Studies, for specific information on opportunities available.
Provide details of your research interests and a summary of your academic qualifications. Let us know if you’re self-funded or require funding.
We’ll forward your enquiry to the relevant members of staff. They will give you detailed guidance on what is required for your application.
Submit your application
You may need to secure a supervisor in order to apply for your research project, then apply in our application form Royal Holloway Direct.
Some departments will also require a research proposal.
This should include:
- the title of your proposed thesis
- the main aims of your research
- links to any previous work or hypotheses on the topic
- information about available resources and any required
- your planned research methods, and plan and timetable of work.
Your supervisor will be on hand to help.
You may need to upload supporting documents to your application. These include:
- a brief research proposal (if required)
- academic transcripts
- English language qualifications, if your first language is not English
- academic references
- resume or CV (if available) to show published work and any industrial experience.