Skip to main content

English language requirements

Search Royal Holloway

Find out the English language skills you’ll need to study at Royal Holloway if you’re an international student

All teaching at Royal Holloway (apart from some language courses) is in English. You therefore need to have good enough written and spoken English to cope with your studies right from the start.

The English language qualifications we accept

We accept the following internationally-recognised English language qualifications:

  • Pearson Test of English
  • Cambridge ESOL

We also accept some local English language qualifications from certain countries. For details, see the information on our Find your country pages.

The scores we require

For IELTS and Pearson Test of English, see the table below for the scores needed by our individual departments. For other English language qualifications, give details in your application of the level you have achieved.

Does my English language qualification need to be a SELT?

A SELT is a Secure English Language Test that is acceptable for UK immigration purposes. It has to be taken at an approved centre.

Your IELTS qualification must be a SELT if one of your IELTS subscores is below 5.5 and you are:

  • applying for one of our Pre-sessional English Language Programmes with IELTS
  • eligible for a linked Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) covering both your degree and your pre-sessional English language programme.

If all of your IELTS subscores are at 5.5 or above, then we can give you a linked Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) for a non-SELT IELTS.

Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences

Faculty of Management, Economics and Law

Faculty of Science

Explore Royal Holloway