Skip to main content

Before you arrive

Search Royal Holloway

Before you arrive

If you are a national from a country within the European Economic Area (EEA) or from Switzerland, then you do not need a visa to study in the UK. If you are from a country outside of the EEA, see below to find out what kind of visa you will need.

Nationals outside the European Economic Area (EEA)

If you want to study at Royal Holloway and and are not a national of the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland you may need to apply for a visa. The type of visa you need will depend on what kind of course you intend to study.

  • Full-time courses of longer than six months -  you must apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa. See our pre-departure checklist.
  • Short courses or study of less than six months - if you are planning to do a course of less than six months (either full-time or part-time), you will normally need to enter as a short-term student or apply for a Tier 4 (General) Student Visa.

 Be aware that...

  • If you are bringing members of your family with you, you may need a visa for your family.

Nationals within the European Economic Area (EEA)

You will just need your EEA national/Swiss passport or ID card to study in the UK.

Be aware that…

  • You should apply in your home country for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). This will enable you to receive any medical treatment you need during your stay. It may also help you make residence applications in the future
  • As an EEA national, you can generally work without restriction in the UK. However, if you are a national of Croatia, your right to work may be restricted - to work for up to 20 hours as a student, you will need to apply for a yellow registration certificate


Find out more in the International Student Handbook (2018/19)


Explore Royal Holloway