Skip to main content


Royal Holloway, University of London welcomes applications from students from the USA to join our growing international community and we are excited to hear from you!

We currently have over 100 students from the States and we are delighted that you are considering joining them. Each year, we also welcome approximately 50 Visiting Students from the United States on student exchanges and onto our Study Abroad programme for either a term or a full academic year.

As one of the UK’s leading research-intensive universities, we are home to some of the world’s foremost authorities in the sciences, arts, business, economics and law. As teachers and researchers they change lives, expand minds and help current and future leaders understand power and responsibility. We are strengthened by diversity, and welcome students and academics who travel from all over the world to study and work here, ensuring an international and multi-cultural perspective within a close-knit and historic campus.

Entry requirements

Applicants to Royal Holloway come from a diverse range of backgrounds and we accept a broad range of qualifications to our courses. Each applicant is considered carefully on their individual merits, but please see below for the standard minimum entry requirements for students from the USA.

Students would be eligible to study at undergraduate level by achieving the grades noted in one of the following qualifications. 

Specific grades for each course can be found on the course finder by selecting “USA” under International & EU requirements.

If a student is unable to sit externally assessed AP tests, we can consider three AP classes on a case-by-case basis. When a Subject Specific Requirement is involved, we would ask for an AP Test or College Class. College Classes would require a minimum of 30 credits at grade A/B and can be used to meet an SSR. This can replace one AP Test in our current offer.

We can consider other qualification combinations on a case-by-case basis, as assessed by our Admissions Team.

Advanced Placement Tests (APs)

The standard entry requirement for applicants with American qualifications is Advanced Placement Tests.  You will need grades of 3-5 in at least 2 AP Tests.  Some subjects require subject-specific APs, please review individual course pages for more information. 


Score of 1040-1200 overall in the New SAT reasoning test with one AP grade 3-5. Some subjects require subject-specific APs, please review individual course pages for more information. 


Composite score of 21-27 in the ACT Examinations (including the ACT writing test) with one AP grade 3-5. Some subjects require subject-specific APs, please review individual pages for more information. 

A Levels & International Baccalaureate (IB)

If you have taken A levels or the IB Diploma you will be considered for direct entry onto our undergraduate programmes. Specific grade requirements are in the course finder entry for your chosen course.

Associate Degree

Associate Degree with a GPA of at least 3.0 (year 1 entry; year 2 entry may be considered by a case by case basis).

College Board number

If you need to send us official transcripts of your standardised tests please quote Royal Holloway's College Board number (CEEB number) 4899.

University preparation programmes

The Royal Holloway International Study Centre provides an International Foundation Year and International Year One programme, which are designed for international students who do not quite meet the requirements for an undergraduate course. These programmes will help to develop your academic and English language skills in preparation for university. Upon successful completion, you can progress to degree level study at Royal Holloway, University of London.

Master's Degree

If you have a Bachelors degree in an appropriate subject with good grades/GPA and from a reputable university, you will be considered for entry to a Royal Holloway Master's degree programme. Exact requirements will depend upon the programme, but most departments will ask for a GPA of between 2.8 and 3.2/4.0.

Research Degree (MPhil/PhD)

If you have Masters degree in an appropriate subject with good grades/GPA from a reputable university will be considered for entry to a Royal Holloway MPhil/PhD programme. Exact requirements will depend upon the programme, but most departments will ask for a GPA of between 3.0 and 3.2/4.0.

To apply to any of our courses, you need to prove a minimum level of English language proficiency including students from an English-speaking country. 

With applicants from the USA we would typically expect either:

  • C Grade in High School Diploma English
  • SAT 600 in English subjects
  • GED 600 in English subjects
  • AP Grade 3 or above (in essay-based subject)

Students who do not quite make the English language requirements may be able to take a pre-sessional English language programme.

If you're a US citizen or eligible non-citizen and have accepted an unconditional offer of a place at Royal Holloway, you may be eligible to borrow US Federal Loans.

Royal Holloway participates in the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program. Our federal school code is G09086.

Royal Holloway is approved to process applications for US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) funding subject to Program Approval.

Further details on eligibility can be found the US student loans webpage.

Please email if you require further information.

You could be eligible for one of our undergraduate or postgraduate scholarships.

If you are considering postgraduate study at Royal Holloway, there may be external funding available to you.

We are also proud partners of the Fulbright Commission. The Fulbright Royal Holloway, University of London awardcovers the first year of any master's or doctoral degree program offered by the institution.  

The American Excellence Scholarship is also available for students from the US to apply for. This is a £3,000 cash award available for one new full time Masters student.

We often make trips to the USA, so why not take the opportunity to meet us in person? You can find out more about the next Royal Holloway visit to the USA by contacting

We also have a number of representatives based in the USA.

Across the Pond

Across the Pond
170 S. Green Valley Parkway
3rd Floor
Nevada 89012

Tel: +1 702 318 7127

Fax: +1 702 318 7101




Twitter: @AcrossThePondUK


Study in UK (SI-UK USA Office)

Phone number : +1 424 272 8610


Royal Holloway has student exchange agreements with the following institutions:

  • Arizona State University
  • Boston College
  • Mount Holyoke College
  • New York University
  • Northwestern University
  • Tulane University
  • University of Florida
  • University of Massachusetts at Amherst
  • Washington College
  • Yale University

If you are enrolled at one of our Study Abroad partners, you may study for a year or a semester at Royal Holloway. Our partners include:

  • Arcadia University College of Global Studies
  • IFSA-Butler (Institute for Foreign Study Abroad) at Butler University
  • Bentley University
  • George Washington University

There is a strong community of students from the United States of America here.

The Students' Union runs a wide range of clubs and societies which all students are able to join. The Students' Union has its own award-winning radio station, Insanity, and its own lifestyle magazine, The Orbital. A full list of societies can be found on the Student Union's website.

Royal Holloway is one of the University of London’s best sporting Universities. We have over 35 student sports clubs and high quality on- and off-campus facilities.

Community Action Volunteering exists to connect, train and support Royal Holloway students seeking to volunteer in the local community.

Royal Holloway is a multi-faith community. For information about our Chaplaincy and the numerous on-campus faith groups, please see our Faith Support pages.

Samantha Crawford is your dedicated International Team member, here to answer any questions you have about applying and studying at Royal Holloway as an international student from the US.

Book a campus tour

We are delighted to be able to offer a guided campus tour to any international students interested in studying here at Royal Holloway, whether you have already applied to study with us, or are just exploring your options in Higher Education.

One of our fantastic International Recruitment team members, or one of our friendly and knowledgeable Student Ambassadors, will show you around our beautiful campus and answer any questions you might have about life at Royal Holloway.

Book a one-to-one appointment

The International team offer 30-minute counselling sessions on MS Teams. These meetings are an informal opportunity to ask any questions you have about applying or studying at Royal Holloway, University of London, and do not affect admission. Book an appointment now to find out more about Royal Holloway.

We also have a number of representatives based in the USA.

Across the Pond

Across the Pond
170 S. Green Valley Parkway
3rd Floor
Nevada 89012

Tel: +1 702 318 7127

Fax: +1 702 318 7101




Twitter: @AcrossThePondUK


We have a large community of alumni from the United States of America, including an Alumni Chapter in Washington run by a Regional Alumni Ambassador, and the recently established American Foundation for Royal Holloway and Bedford New College.

Mary-Kate Grohoski
MA in Late Antique and Byzantine Studies 2015
Sales Manager at New York Foundation for the Arts (NYFA)

Why did you choose to study at Royal Holloway?

I decided to study at Royal Holloway because of Dr. Charalambos Dendrinos. When I visited Royal Holloway, I immediately felt welcomed and he introduced me to a current student who showed me around. It was apparent that this was a wonderful place to learn because of everyone's enthusiasm.

What did you enjoy most about your course?

I loved the way that Dr. Charalambos Dendrinos talked about books. I learned paleography from him. He spoke about the personalities of each book, their rich history, and imagining the author laboriously working on the text. Paying attention in class was always easy because of his passion and excitement for the subject.

How did Royal Holloway help you to discover opportunities and prepare you for life after university / to find your purpose in life?

Royal Holloway was the steppingstone in my career that I needed. Before Royal Holloway, I worked a lot of odd jobs that were not career focused.

Please tell us about your career journey since graduating and what you are doing now.

I've had a quite a journey since graduating, which took me to selling art on cruise ships and working at Bonhams auction house in New York. At Bonhams, I was able to put my education to use in the Books and Manuscripts department. Since leaving Bonhams, I now get to help others pursue their passions in the arts.

What advice would you give to students thinking about a career in your sector?

Do it! I work in the arts sector and too many people think that "you can't get a job with an arts degree." Don't believe that. If you're passionate about art/art history (or in my case, Byzantine Art) then it will be worth it. I studied art and I work in the arts sector; it is possible and there are a lot more jobs in the arts than people realise.

What is your greatest professional achievement to date?

My greatest professional achievement is the fact that I studied art and work in the arts.

When you started at Royal Holloway, did you have a strong sense/ ambition of what you wanted to get from your time at university? What was special about Royal Holloway that helped you achieve this?

Honestly, when I was looking for masters programmes, I knew that I wanted to study in the UK. I had lived in England as a child (though I mostly grew up in America) and wanted to move back. Studying was a way to do that.

Kara Grozan
MA Film and TV Producing 2022
Assistant to Executive Producers at Left Bank Pictures 

Why did you choose to study in the UK?

I was really interested in the UK film industry and European film market.

Can you tell us about your journey to Royal Holloway? Why did you choose to study your subject?

I have a background in directing and producing theatre but grew to love the medium of film during my undergraduate. Pursuing a MA in film producing was the next step on my journey to achieve my dream of being a producer.

Can you tell us about your student experience? What did you enjoy most about your degree and Royal Holloway?

I enjoyed getting to know people from all over the world. The international aspect of my course was by far my favorite part.

What advice would you give to international students thinking about applying to the UK, Royal Holloway and/or your subject?

Don't discount yourself if you don't have direct experience in your chosen course. All experience is valuable and in fact, different perspectives and skills are integral to the course.

Since completing your degree, what has been your career journey?

I interned at Origin Pictures and freelanced for London Literary Scouting before getting my job at Left Bank Pictures.

What is your greatest professional achievement to date and what are your aspirations for the future?

I think producing my dissertation film is one of my greatest achievements, and certainly the one I'm most proud of. I hope to rise at Left Bank to work in development and then eventually executive produce.

What advice would you give to students thinking about a career in your industry?

Don't be afraid to cold email and network! That's how I got my job. Its tiring and most of the time you don't get a response, but it only takes one!

Check out this awesome article on The Pie where you can get some insight into life as a Royal Holloway graduate!

A British degree is a valuable asset in the US job market. Recent research commissioned by the British Council indicates that three-quarters of American employers (73%) consider degrees earned in the UK to be the same as or better than those earned in the USA.

The British Council provides comprehensive advice on many aspects of studying in Britain

The American Embassy in London for assistance for US citizens in the UK

The British Embassy in Washington for advice on visas

UKCISA promotes and protects the needs of international students in the UK

Explore Royal Holloway

Get help paying for your studies at Royal Holloway through a range of scholarships and bursaries.

There are lots of exciting ways to get involved at Royal Holloway. Discover new interests and enjoy existing ones.

Heading to university is exciting. Finding the right place to live will get you off to a good start.

Whether you need support with your health or practical advice on budgeting or finding part-time work, we can help.

Discover more about our academic departments and schools.

Find out why Royal Holloway is in the top 25% of UK universities for research rated ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’.

Royal Holloway is a research intensive university and our academics collaborate across disciplines to achieve excellence.

Discover world-class research at Royal Holloway.

Discover more about who we are today, and our vision for the future.

Royal Holloway began as two pioneering colleges for the education of women in the 19th century, and their spirit lives on today.

We’ve played a role in thousands of careers, some of them particularly remarkable.

Find about our decision-making processes and the people who lead and manage Royal Holloway today.