Skip to main content

US student loans

US student loans

Royal Holloway participates in the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program. If you're a US citizen or eligible non-citizen and have accepted an unconditional offer of a place at Royal Holloway, you may be eligible to borrow Financial Aid.

Our federal school code is G09086.


The information provided here is accurate to the best of our knowledge. However, US Department of Education regulations are subject to change and Royal Holloway cannot be held responsible for any changes that may adversely affect your eligibility for federal loans.

Effects of the Covid-19 pandemic

The Higher Education Act (HEA) prohibits any part of a programme of study at a foreign institution to be taught online. In 2020, the United States Congress’ passed the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act) to provide regulatory relief to foreign institutions affected by the global pandemic. This act waived the section of HEA which prohibits online learning. This means that we are able to continue processing loan applications for programmes that would usually be eligible for federal loans to students who are studying remotely due to the Covid-19 pandemic. This will remain in place until the end of the Covid-19 emergency. This has recently been extended to 30th June 2023.

Once the current Covid-19 situation is resolved and the CARES Act provisions are no longer in force, students will only be eligible for federal loans at the College if they are enrolled to attend their programme in person. Distance learning will no longer be permitted.

Get in touch

As soon as you have submitted your FAFSA, please get in touch with us by emailing your full name, your Student ID Number, and the course that you have applied for to

To be eligible to receive Federal Direct Aid and PLUS loans, you must:

  • Be a US citizen or eligible non-citizen with a valid Social Security number
  • Be a student enrolled or accepted for enrolment in an eligible programme at an eligible institution
  • Have a high school diploma or equivalent
  • Be enrolled at least half-time for the period for which the federal loan is originated
  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year
  • Not be in default on an educational loan and not owe a repayment on an adjusted federal grant
  • Comply with the College’s satisfactory academic progress policy (see below)

Full details set of the criteria set by the US Department of Education are available to view on the Federal Student Aid website: Eligibility Requirements | Federal Student Aid

Ineligible programmes

Please be aware that there are restrictions on the College’s ability to offer federal loan funds to students on certain courses. Only degree programmes offered at the College are eligible for funding by federal loans.

Therefore, in accordance with regulations governing Federal Student Aid, the following programmes are not eligible for federal loans:

  • Courses that are non-degree programmes, eg PELP (Pre-sessional English Language programmes) or Foundation courses (run by our partner, Study Group)
  • Courses that are offered in full or in part by online, through telecommunications and correspondence including distance learning are not eligible. Therefore the MA in Screenwriting for Television and Film (in retreat) option is not eligible
  • Distance learning courses offered through the Kaplan programme
  • Distance learning programmes offered through the University of London’s International Programmes division
  • Courses that involve studying outside the UK for more than 25% of the total course duration (see contact for more information)
  • Any course that offers more than 50% of its programme through internship

This is not an exhaustive list. Please note that if any element of your course is ineligible for federal aid, you will not be eligible to receive federal loans for any part of your course. If you have any concerns about the eligibility of the course you want to study, please contact

If you will be coming to Royal Holloway as a Study abroad or exchange student, you will need to process your loan application through your home university.

If you want to study on an ineligible programme, a private loan may be an option (see Available Loans for more information).

Study Abroad and Exchange

Most undergraduate and PhD students at the College have the option of adding a voluntary study abroad/exchange component to their studies. You can find out more about study abroad and exchange opportunities on our website at Studying abroad ( or emailing

For students to remain eligible to receive federal aid, the study abroad programme must make up no more than 25% of the maximum credits undertaken for the whole programme and where a written arrangement is in place, as detailed in the Code of Federal Regulations Part 602, subpart B, paragraph 22. Please contact to find out more information about this and request a list of Title IV eligible institutions.

Ineligibility for Grants

As a student at a foreign school, you are not eligible to receive PELL Grants or other ‘Campus Based’ Funds.


Federal Direct Loans

As a foreign school, Royal Holloway is eligible to originate loan applications for Federal Direct Loans and PLUS loans. Full information on these loans can be found here.

Loan Type

Stafford Subsidised

Stafford Unsubsidised

** PLUS Loan

Who is eligible

Undergraduates only 

Undergraduate and Postgraduate students

Postgraduates and parents of dependent undergraduates 

Key features

Fixed annual limit,

Based on financial need

Non credit-based


Fixed annual limit

Not based on financial need

Non credit-based

Borrowed on top of Stafford loans to cover the remainder of the Cost of Attendance


Origination and default fee

1.057% for loans first disbursed on or after 1 October 2022 and before 1 October 2023

1.057% for loans first disbursed on or after 1 October 2022 and before 1 October 2023

4.228% for loans first disbursed on or after 1 October 2022 and before 1 October 2023

Interest rate

Interest fixed at 4.99% for loans first disbursed between 1 July 2022 and 30 June 2023

4.99% for loans to Undergraduate students first disbursed on or after 1 July 2022 and prior to 1 July 2023

6.54% for loans to Postgraduate students first disbursed on or after 1 July 2022 and prior to 1 July 2023 

7.54% for loans first disbursed on or after 1 July 2022 and prior to July 2023

How interest is paid

* Federal government pays interest whilst borrower is in enrolled at school for at least half time and during grace period or deferment, provided borrower hasn't exceeded their maximum eligibility period

Whilst borrower is in enrolled at school for at least half time and during grace period or deferment, you have the option of paying interest or having it capitalised to add to the total value of the loan


Borrower pays all interest. Interest begins after a loan is fully disbursed. Whilst borrower is in enrolled at school for at least half time and during grace period or deferment, you have the option of paying interest or having it capitalised to add to the total value of the loan

Origination fees, default fees and interest rates are subject to change. For the latest information on interest rates and fees, please see the Federal Student Aid website.

* First time undergraduate borrowers after 1st July 2013 may not receive subsidised Stafford loans for more than 150% of the published timeframe of their programme, and the student becomes responsible for paying the interest after meeting the 150% limit.

** Independent undergraduates and dependent undergraduates where the parent is denied a Parent PLUS loan are not eligible for a PLUS loan. They would qualify for a higher Stafford unsubsidised loan amount (see Loan Limits). Any shortfall in funding would have to be covered by a private loan.

Full information on these loans can be found here.

Royal Holloway does not charge any loan fees.

Please note: Pell Grants and Federal Grants are not available for study at foreign schools.

Private Loans

If you are a US citizen or eligible non-citizen, private loans may provide an alternative means of funding your studies if you cannot cover your entire study and living costs with federal loans or you are ineligible for federal loans. They can also be used alongside Direct Loans.  Federal loans have more favourable terms and conditions and tend to be cheaper than private loans, therefore it is advisable to borrow federal loans first wherever possible.

We have to certify private loan applications and the amount you borrow cannot exceed your Cost of Attendance. Interest rates are variable and will depend on your credit rating. If credit is denied, you will need a co-signer.

The college does not operate a preferred lender arrangement, which means that students may approach any lender of their choice about a private loan, although it is important to check that the lender will offer loans to study at foreign schools outside the US. We are currently aware that this applies to Sallie Mae and you can view more about “GEMS Undergraduate and Graduate Student Loans by Sallie Mae” at It also applies to Earnest and you can view more at Private Student Loans - Low Rates, Friendly Service - Earnest

Private loans may be disbursed as a lump sum or as multiple disbursements. As interest starts accruing from the day the lender releases the disbursement, you will have more interest to pay if your loan is disbursed as a lump sum.

Federal loans versus private loans

Compare federal and private loans

Bursaries and Scholarships

You can find information about the Bursaries and Scholarships offered by the College at

The maximum amount of Federal Direct Loan funds that a student is eligible to borrow is set by the US government. The amount that a student can borrow each academic year is controlled by the stage of their studies, whether they are a dependent or independent student, their financial need and their Cost of Attendance. You must complete the Cost of Attendance (COA) form to determine the amounts that you are eligible to borrow in the academic year.

You cannot borrow more than your financial need or your cost of attendance.

Undergraduate Students


All Students

Dependent Students

Independent Students

All Students


Subsidised Loan

Unsubsidised Loan

Unsubsidised Loan


Year 1




Balance up to COA

Year 2




Balance up to COA

Year 3




Balance up to COA

The U.S Department of Education charge an origination fee on all loans and this is deducted from each disbursement

Postgraduate Students


Unsubsidised Loan




Balance up to COA

Direct Loan Aggregate Limits

This is the total of how much you can borrow over your lifetime.


Subsidised Loan only

Total aggregate (Subsidised and Unsubsidised combined)

Dependent Undergraduate



Independent Undergraduate



Postgraduate Students



Each academic year the College will determine your Cost of Attendance (COA). This is not decided on the exact amounts you will pay, but is based on the average costs for a student to attending the College on your programme, if you attend at least half time, and is based on your period of study. While your costs may vary depending on where you live while you are at the College, we expect your COA to be roughly in line with our estimate.

The elements that are included in the COA are tuition fees for the year plus an amount for living costs including room (accommodation), board, books and materials, personal expenses and two return flights from the USA to the UK. For first year students, it also includes the cost of the initial visa and NHS fees. Loan fees are based on typical borrowing averages for students on your course.

You are eligible to receive loans up to the total value of the COA less other financial aid and your own EFC (Estimated Family Contribution). This calculation will indicate your loan eligibility. The total that you may borrow in federal and private loans and the value of any scholarships or grants you may be receiving may not exceed your CoA (see external sources of funding for international students).

We recommend that you only borrow what you need to cover your education expenses and you can reduce the amount you borrow to reflect your specific financial needs. You can request additional funds later in the academic year (up to the maximum value of the COA).

For returning students, please send an email to confirming that you have completed your FAFSA and you will be sent the COA that is applicable to your situation.

For 2021/22 academic year:

Undergraduate (dependent) 1st year students:   

The CoA for the 2021/22 1st year UG (dependent)

Undergraduate (independent) 1st year students:

The CoA for the 2021/22 1st year UG (independent) (upon request from

Postgraduate Taught (MA, MSc):

The CoA for the 2021/22 PGT

The CoA for those who are based at our London Campus (2021/22)

Postgraduate Research (PhD/PGR):  

The CoA for the 2021/22 PhD and PGR

 We will use an exchange rate of GBP1 to USD1.48 to convert your tuition fees and living expenses to US dollars for the 2021/22 academic year. The exchange rate will be reviewed every year.

For 2022/23 academic year:

Please contact to request the relevant Cost of Attendance. 

Undergraduate (dependent) 1st year students  

Undergraduate (independent) 1st year students

Postgraduate Taught (MA, MSc):

2022/23 COA for students based at the Egham campus

2022/23 COA for students based at the Central London campus

Postgraduate Research (PhD/PGR): 

2022/23 COA for PhD and PGR students

We will use an exchange rate of GBP1 to USD1.40 to convert your tuition fees and living expenses to US dollar for the 2022 /23 academic year. The exchange rate will be reviewed every year.

Professional Judgment

We will be fair but judicious in exercising our professional judgment. If you have individual circumstances that you would like us to  consider for making adjustments to your Cost of Attendance to address your individual circumstances, please contact

For information on fees, check the link to the appropriate programme:

Undergraduate tuition fees

Postgraduate tuition fees

Research degree fees

The loan application flowchart provides a summary of the steps involved in applying for federal loans.

Step 1

The first step you need to take is to complete the Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) application at This is the loan application for Subsidized (Undergraduates only) and Unsubsidized (Undergraduates and Graduates) Loans. Our federal school code is G09086. You must do this every year that you want to take out a federal loan.

As soon as you have submitted your FAFSA, please let us know about your application by emailing your full name, College student ID number and the course that you have applied for to

Step 2

Once your FAFSA is complete and processed, it will generate a Student Aid Report (SAR). Please keep this safe for your own records. We will also receive a copy of this and we will use it to determine your eligibility for a federal loan. If there are any errors, please make the necessary changes at

Step 3

You will need to go to to complete the necessary documentation:

PLUS loan application: If you intend to apply for a PLUS loan (or your parent intends to apply for a Parent PLUS loan) in addition to the Subsidized and/or Unsubsidized loan then you (or your parent) will need to complete a PLUS loan application at the website at

Master Promissory Note - the loan agreement that sets out the terms on which you must repay your loan and the interest. You must complete a Master Promissory Note for Stafford Subsidised and/or Unsubsidised Loans and for Graduate or Parent PLUS Loans you must complete a Master Promissory Note and a PLUS Loan Request Application. This must be done every year you want to take out federal loans.

Annual Student Loan Acknowledgement - You must complete this each year you take out federal loans at Annual Student Loan Acknowledgment | Federal Student Aid. If you are an undergraduate whose parent is taking out a parent PLUS loan, this must also be completed by your parent. This is not required for the 2022-2023 academic year and beyond.

Entrance Counselling – if you have not previously received a federal loan, you must complete entrance counselling for each type of loan you are taking at  Entrance Counseling | Federal Student Aid / . Similarly, if you are a graduate student, you must complete Entrance Counselling unless you have previously received a graduate Direct or Federal PLUS loan. Parent PLUS borrowers do not have to complete Entrance Counselling. We encourage students to participate in counselling each year so that they are better informed about borrowing, but this is not compulsory.

Step 4

You need to complete the Cost of Attendance spreadsheet that we send to you or that you download from our website and return it to us at We will then make the necessary regulatory checks as part of the loan packaging and origination process. We will contact you if we are unable to access the required documentation or have queries.

Step 5

We will send you your financial aid offer confirming the amount you will be receiving net of origination fees and the anticipated disbursement dates. We will aim to disburse the funds to you as close to these dates as possible.


Although US citizens are not required to submit proof of funding in support of their Student Visa application (at, the original hard copy of the loan letter may be submitted as evidence of funding if requested by the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI).


We begin processing loans for the new academic year in May/June. It is your responsibility to complete your loan application in a timely manner.

As an eligible student, you can apply for a federal loan during the course of the academic year, however you must submit your application in time for us to complete processing and disburse the funds before the end of your academic year. There is a US Department of Education deadline for submitting your FAFSA, so you must ensure that this is also met (see

Federal loans are disbursed in two equal instalments, once after the start of the academic year and the other halfway through the academic year.

The anticipated disbursement dates for 2021/22 are:

For students starting in September 2021

Disbursement one: 7 October 2021 (returning students) and 21 October 2021 (new students to include required 30 day delay)                

Disbursement two: 10 February 2022 (UG students) and 28 March 2022 (PG students)

For PG students starting in January 2022

Disbursement one: 10 February 2022

Disbursement two: 14 July 2022

These dates are for guidance only.

You will need to ensure you have sufficient funds of your own to cover your living expenses until you receive your first disbursement.

You must be fully enrolled at the College before your disbursement can be approved. The College will deduct a proportion for tuition and residence fees (where relevant) from each disbursement and any remaining balance will be paid into your specified bank account. If you have opened a UK bank account, please enter your UK account details on the Money Tab in Campus Connect. Information on opening a UK bank account can be found here. This will enable the funds to be paid directly to your UK bank account via BACS payment. If you have not opened a UK account, we will issue you a cheque for you to collect from Student Services. Please note that this will take an extra week to process.

Exchange rate

Your funds will be converted to £ on receipt and currency conversion costs will apply. The actual amount for each disbursement will vary, as it will depend on the exchange rate on the date the funds are received.

Right to cancel

You will be notified by email of your right to cancel or amend the amount of the disbursement generally two weeks before each disbursement is activated. If you wish to make any changes to your federal loan, you must notify us by the specified deadline. If you notify us that you don't need all the money after we have requested the funds from the US Treasury, you will need to return the excess funds as a repayment on your loan.

Any funds returned within 120 days of the last disbursement will be treated as a cancellation and any interest accrued on the returned amount will be cancelled as well. Details of your loan servicer are available via the National Students Loan Data System (NSLDS) (

Tuition fee deposit 

If you are in receipt of a federal and/or private loan and you are borrowing enough to cover your tuition in full, this deposit can usually be waived. Please contact for further information and guidance.


If you are in receipt of a federal and/or private loan that is at least equal to your total tuition fee, you will be enrolled automatically without the need for an invoice. A member of the Student Fees team will inform you if you need to make a payment to enrol.

Satisfactory academic progress

To remain eligible to receive your federal loans, you have to maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP) and remain in at least half time study throughout the course of your programme. We will check SAP at the end of each payment period. If you are a continuing student, we will check your SAP before the commencement of the new academic year. Our SAP policy can be found here.

Change in student status

If you withdraw, graduate or drop below half time (part-time) study, we will update your status with your lender or loan service via the National Student Loans Data System (NSLDS)  and you will no longer be eligible to receive further federal loans at the College. This will also enter your federal loans into repayment.

Please note if you submit your thesis, your status will be reported as "less than half time", and if you interrupt your studies for more than 180 days, your status will be the same as if you had withdrawn. Due to Covid-19, there are currently temporary regulations in place that extend this 180 day requirement. If you have any concerns about this, please contact

If your student status changes in these ways, we will be required to perform a return of funds calculation to determine if you have earned all the federal aid that was disbursed to you during the payment period. If you haven't completed at least 60% of the relevant payment period, we will need to return any unearned funds in respect of tuition and residence fees to the US Treasury, which may leave you with a debt to the college. Any remaining disbursements would also have to be cancelled. See details in our Return of Title IV Funds Policy for further information.

This process is separate from the College’s refund policy which can be found here: Student Fee Regulations.

Maximum eligibility period for undergraduates

If you are an undergraduate student, you will only be eligible for the subsidised portion of the Stafford loan for a maximum period of 150% of the published time frame of your programme. Once you are meeting the 150 per cent limit, your eligibility will be reduced to unsubsidised Stafford only.

Exit counselling

If you graduate, withdraw or drop below half time study or you completing your studies or if you have confirmed that you won't be borrowing any further federal loans for the remainder of your studies, we are required to ensure that you complete an exit counselling session at Exit Counseling | Federal Student Aid. This provides important information on loan repayment. We will check that you undertake this Exit Counselling and document it in our records.

If any student is considering withdrawing or interrupting or taking a leave of absence, we strongly recommend that they:

  • Arrange to meet their Personal Advisor, Education Lead, Academic Co-ordinator or Head of Department to discuss the implications of withdrawing and options open to them.
  • Seek support from Wellbeing by emailing or at
  • Seek guidance from the Students’ Union Advice Centre by emailing or at
  • In addition, if the student is receiving federal loans, we strongly recommend that they contact the International Student Support Office to discuss the effects of this decision on their Visa and their Federal loans by emailing and
Official Withdrawal

A withdrawal refers to a student’s intent to terminate their studies at the College completely with no expectation of return. Students who subsequently decide to return to their studies must re-apply.

If a student receiving federal loans decides to withdraw, the College’s requirements depend on the student’s programme

Unofficial Withdrawal

An unofficial withdrawal is one where the student does not notify the College that they have ceased or will cease attending their programme of studies at the College. This may become an attendance and engagement issue and the formal warning process will be instigated (see Formal warnings - Royal Holloway Student Intranet). This process can be lengthy, but can ultimately lead to the student having their registration at the College terminated.

In addition, attempts will be made by the student’s School, Department, Student Administration and/or Student Advisory & Wellbeing team as well as the International Student Support Office to contact the student and try to re-engage them in their studies before the Formal Warning is issued.

Leave of Absence

A Leave of Absence (LOA) is a temporary interruption in a student's program of study. At the College this can be an authorised absence or an interruption of more than 60 days. In the context of Title IV funds, an LOA refers to the specific time period during a program when a student is not in attendance and will return to complete the program provided they satisfy a number of specific conditions. These are set out in our Leave of Absence Policy.  As a result, this leave of absence policy is only available to those studying on a PhD programme and it must be agreed by their School, Department and Supervisory team.

If a student takes an approved LOA, they will not need to re-apply to return to their studies. Student Administration will contact them towards the end of their LOA to discuss the arrangements for their return.

Unapproved Leave of Absence

The College may also grant an unapproved Leave of Absence (LOA) to students receiving federal loans. This will cover all Undergraduate and Postgraduate Taught students who interrupt for any period of time but intend to return to their studies, and Postgraduate Research students whose interruption does not meet the conditions of an approved LOA.

A student taking an unapproved LOA will not need to re-apply to return to their studies. Student Administration will contact them towards the end of the LOA to discuss the arrangements for their return. However this will be treated as a withdrawal for Title IV purposes.

Return of Title IV Calculation

The College has an institutional refund policy (see Student Fee Regulations 2021-22). In addition, if a student receiving federal aid withdraws from the College or takes an unapproved LOA, we will carry out a Return to Title IV calculation to determine if you have earned all the federal aid that was disbursed to you during the payment period. This is outlined in our Return of Title IV Funds policy. These policies are separate.

If a student takes an approved LOA, the return to Title IV calculation is not required.

Exit Counselling

When a student withdraws from the College, they are required to complete Exit Counselling at Exit Counseling | Federal Student Aid. This provides important information on the repayment of their federal student loans and money management. The International Student Support Office will check that students undertake this Exit Counselling and document it in their records.

Note: The US Department of Education has announced an extension of the pause of student loan repayment, interest and collections until 31st August 2022.

Repayment of your loans is arranged directly through your loan servicer. We recommend that you keep in contact with them to ensure your loan repayment information is up to date. You must inform them of:

  • Any factors affecting your ability to repay your loan
  • Any changes in your status including completing your course or if you do not enrol for the period covered by your loan
  • Any changes in your personal details e.g. name, address, phone number

Your student loan(s) must be repaid and you are at risk of going into default if you do not make the repayments required by your loan servicer.

Grace period

Information on repayment of federal loans is available at Federal Student Aid. Your loan servicer can also provide information on repayment. Details are available on National Students Loan Data System (NSLDS) ( There is a six month grace period on repayment of the Stafford loan once a student has withdrawn, graduated or dropped below half time. There is no grace period for the PLUS loan. The repayment period starts at the time the final disbursement is made, and the first payment is due within 60 days after the final disbursement.

Deferment and forbearance

If you aren't able to start repaying your loans, you may qualify for a deferment or forbearance that will temporarily suspend or reduce your repayments. This could help prevent default, which would impact negatively on your credit rating. Details are available on Federal Student Aid. You may be able to defer repayment if you are enrolled and attending at least half-time at Royal Holloway. Please contact to request an in-school deferment.

Direct loan consolidation

You may be able to combine all of your existing federal loans into one loan, known as a Direct Consolidation Loan. There are no charges for consolidation. This means that you will have only one lender, the US Department of Education, and only one loan repayment every month with flexible repayment options. You may also switch repayment plans at any time. Further details are available at

When and how will my loan be paid?

Federal loans are paid at the start of the academic year and halfway through the academic year. See dates for the 2021/22 year in the tab Disbursements.

If you have opened a UK bank account, please enter your UK account details on the Money Tab in Campus Connect. This will enable the funds to be paid directly to your UK bank account via BACS payment. Information on opening a UK bank account can be found here. If you have not opened a UK account, we will issue you a cheque for you to collect from Student Services. Please note that this will take an extra week to process.

Are private loans such as Sallie Mae disbursed the same way as Federal loans?

Private loans such as Sallie Mae can be disbursed in one lump sum generally at the beginning of the Autumn term or via two payments in line with the Federal loans. Having the loan disbursed in a lump sum will incur more interest, because the entire balance incurs interest when the loan is disbursed. Two disbursements incur less interest.

What exchange rate will be used to convert my Federal loan?

We will use the market rate from our partner Western Union Business Solutions (WUBS) on the day we convert your disbursements from USD to GBP. This is when the federal loan is received in our bank account and converted to GBP by WUBS.

The exchange rate in the COA is higher to account for any market fluctuations forecasted for the next 12 months. This is done because we need a static rate to calculate the COA in USD. As explained, your federal loan will however be converted using the exchange rate at the time of disbursement.

How will my tuition and accommodation be paid?

We will deduct 50% of your tuition and accommodation fees (if applicable) from each disbursements before paying any remaining credit balance to you.

What if I decide to cancel or reduce my loan?

We will notify you via email a week before your disbursement is due to be paid, this email will show the amount due. You can either opt to have this amount reduced, increased (if you have not borrowed the full COA allowance) or cancel the disbursement by emailing You must do so before the deadline contained in the email.

Do I have to apply for a new federal loan for each year of study?

Yes, the Cost of Attendance is reviewed annually and therefore the amount you can borrow will change every year.

If you are a returning student, an email will be sent to you over the summer inviting you to submit your FAFSA, should you be interested in borrowing further loans.

I need someone to complete my 1098-T IRS tax form, who can do this?

Royal Holloway, University of London does not have an IRS Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) which is required to complete the 1098-T form.

However, we can provide you a Tuition/Accommodation certifying letter detailing the charges and payments received.

Do I have to pay the tuition fee deposit?

If you are in receipt of a federal and/or private loan and you are borrowing enough to cover your tuition in full, this deposit can be waived. Please contact for further guidance and information on this.

Can I receive part of my loan before I enrol in order to fund the initial costs such as flights and visas?

No, this is because you must be fully enrolled before your loan can be disbursed.

The room and board on the Cost of Attendance (COA) seems a bit high, do I have to borrow the full COA?

The COA is based on the most expensive halls on campus which is comparable to the rent in the local area and the other items on the COA is based on the average cost of living in the area. You can borrow what you believe you need and do not need to borrow the maximum COA. If you borrow less than the maximum COA, you can potentially increase the loan at a later stage (up to the max COA).

Do I need to submit my loan letter for my Student visa application?

If you are applying for your Student visa from the USA, you do not need to submit the loan letter as US nationals make their visa application under differentiation arrangements (ST 22.1 Therefore you are not required to include your financial documents in your application.

Regrettably we are not currently able to accept Veteran Affairs Benefits from prospective students.

If you are an existing student at Royal Holloway, please contact

Institutional and Financial Assistance Information for Students

Once a year, we will contact all registered students who are U.S. citizens to provide them with information confirming that the College is a participating Title IV school that will process Federal Aid and other key information.

Individual Copy

We will provide copy of any of the information on this website or that is published by the U.S. Department of Education on request. This includes information on the rights and responsibilities of students and schools under Title IV HEA (Higher Education Act) loan programs. Please contact to request it.

Contact Information

The International Funding Coordinator is Amanda Ellis, who is part of the Wellbeing: International Advice team. She is located in Founders East 132 at Royal Holloway, Egham Hill, Egham TW20 0EX. You can contact her by emailing or by calling +44 1784 443003.

Student Financial Aid Information

Information on all aspects of Federal Aid and US-based private loans is displayed on our US Loans webpage. This covers:

  • How to apply for financial assistance and the loan amounts available
  • Student eligibility requirements
  • Ineligible programmes
  • Cost of Attendance
  • Entrance counselling
  • Method of disbursement
  • Withdrawal procedures, refund policies and return of Title IV funds policy
  • Satisfactory academic progress policy
  • Terms and conditions of federal loans
  • Exit counselling
  • Private loans

The US Department of Education provides information on student financial aid at

Academic Programme Information

Details of our current degree programmes are available at Degree course library (

Both the Undergraduate and Postgraduate Prospectuses are available at Prospectuses and brochures (

Admissions Policy

Information on Admissions and our Admissions policy and procedures is available at Admissions policy and procedures (

Institution Costs

Tuition fees vary according to the degree programme. Information on the College’s fees is available for

There is also further information on fees at 3.-tuition-fee-operational-guidelines-2020-21.pdf ( and 2.-studentfeeregulations-2021-22.pdf ( 

Information on the cost of College accommodation is available at

Withdrawal procedures, refunds and return of aid

The College’s institutional refund policy is set out at 2.-studentfeeregulations-2021-22.pdf ( with further information set out at

You can find information on our Return of Title IV Funds policy on our US Loans webpage. Please note that withdrawing can affect your Federal Student Aid eligibility.

Support for Students with disabilities

The Disability & Neurodiversity Team is committed to providing guidance and support to prospective and current students with disabilities. Find out about services, facilities and support.

Study Abroad and Exchange

Most Royal Holloway students studying at undergraduate level have the option of adding a voluntary study abroad/exchange component to their studies. You can find out more about study abroad and exchange opportunities on our website at Studying abroad ( or emailing

Students who receive Federal Aid need to be aware that you are potentially allowed to take up to 25% of your programme of study in the United States or at an institution outside the United States provided there is a written agreement. Please contact to find out more information about this and to request a list of Title IV eligible institutions. In addition, the Study Abroad and exchange must not exceed 25% of your studies.

Default Management Plan

The College has a Default Management Plan that can be viewed here.


The College holds its integrity to the highest standard and will not make any false, incorrect, or misleading statements directly or indirectly to a student, prospective student, any member of the public, an accrediting agency, a state agency, or the U.S. Department of Education.

Code of conduct

The college expects that any of its employees who have responsibilities with respect to private education loans, abide by a code of conduct, which prohibits:

  • Revenue-sharing arrangements with any lender.
  • Receiving gifts from a lender, guarantor, or a loan servicer
  • Contracting arrangements providing financial benefit from any lender or affiliate of a lender.
  • Directing borrowers to particular lenders, or refusing or delaying loan certifications
  • Offering funds for private loans.
  • Call centre or financial aid office staffing assistance.
  • Advisory board compensation.

All agents with responsibility for US Loans are reminded at least annually of the code.

Private Student Loan Disclosures and Preferred Lender List

Royal Holloway does not recommend any private lender, however as far as we are aware, there is only one private lender that makes loans available to US citizens receiving their degree at a foreign school.

To get information about the GEMS Loan in Sallie Mae you can go to their link at

Data Protection Policy

The College receives and processes large quantities of personal information about students. In handling and storing this data, the College complies with our national GDPR legislation. Information on the College’s Data Protection Policy regarding data protection for students and the College’ role in this process is available at Data Protection (

The College will confirm ongoing enrolment and academic achievement with the U.S. Department of Education, as required by Federal Student Aid regulations. By applying for, and accepting Federal Student Aid, students are acknowledging and consenting to this sharing of data.

If you have a complaint about how the College handles your data, you have the right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education, but we suggest that you contact Wellbeing: International Advice at in the first instance so they can discuss the problem with you and try to resolve it.


We are required to inform you that if you (student or parent) take out a federal loan, we will submit details of the loan to the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS). This includes details of your enrolment, course start and end dates. This data will be accessible by guaranty agencies, lenders, and schools determined to be authorised users of the data system.

Further information

We make every effort to ensure that the information provided here is accurate, however we cannot guarantee that information may not be altered beyond our reasonable control.

If you would like further information or advice on Financial Aid for U.S. students, please contact us at or call +44 1784 443003.

Explore Royal Holloway

Get help paying for your studies at Royal Holloway through a range of scholarships and bursaries.

There are lots of exciting ways to get involved at Royal Holloway. Discover new interests and enjoy existing ones

Heading to university is exciting. Finding the right place to live will get you off to a good start

Whether you need support with your health or practical advice on budgeting or finding part-time work, we can help

Discover more about our 21 departments and schools

Find out why Royal Holloway is in the top 25% of UK universities for research rated ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’

Royal Holloway is a research intensive university and our academics collaborate across disciplines to achieve excellence.

Discover world-class research at Royal Holloway

Discover more about who we are today, and our vision for the future

Royal Holloway began as two pioneering colleges for the education of women in the 19th century, and their spirit lives on today

We’ve played a role in thousands of careers, some of them particularly remarkable

Find about our decision-making processes and the people who lead and manage Royal Holloway today