We use cookies on this site. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Close this message Find out more

Home > Study here > Undergraduate > Applying > Entry requirements
More in this section Applying

Entry requirements

Applicants to Royal Holloway come from a diverse range of backgrounds and we accept a broad range of qualifications to our courses.

Each applicant is considered carefully on their individual merits, however, we do publish a range of minimum entry requirements and typical offers to help guide prospective students.

Typical entry requirements

GCE AS and A2-Levels

We require A-level students to pass three subjects, with each course expecting different grades, which you can check using our course finder.

The grades given are the minimum required and you may find your offer is higher than those given.

International Baccalaureate

Many students in the UK and international countries take the International Baccalaureate (IB) and we welcome any of you who have taken the IB Diploma.

Each degree sets its own minimum IB offer, which you can check on our course finder.

Scottish Advanced Highers

If you’re studying the Scottish Advanced Highers, you’re expected to achieve at least three passes. 

Grades required will vary by department and can be found on the UCAS course listing.


At least five GCSE passes at grades A* to C, including Maths and English, is expected from all students.

Other entry qualifications

The above qualifications are the most common achieved by students applying to Royal Holloway. We do accept others if they meet the academic requirements for admission. 

These include professional qualifications and QAA recognised Access to Higher Education Certificates or Diplomas.

We also accept the European Baccalaureate, Welsh Baccalaureate, BTEC/Edexel National Diploma, CACHE Diploma, International Advanced Levels, NVQs and overseas qualifications.

For further information check the UCAS course listing or email study@royalholloway.ac.uk.

International students

We welcome applications from international students whose qualifications match our entry requirements for courses. You can check Royal Holloway International’s your Country pages for more information.

English language qualifications

If English isn't your first language, you’ll be required to demonstrate your English language level through a recognised qualification. 

If your language results are slightly below the required level, you may have the chance to attend a pre-sessional English language course - meaning you don't need to re-take any exams or tests.

If your secondary education took place in an English-speaking country, or in English (such as international A-Levels) you may not have to take an IELTS or equivalent test. Email Admissions for confirmation.

International Foundation Year

If you’re applying from a country in which you studied for 11 or 12 years, or you only hold AS levels or the IB certificate, you will usually have to complete a recognised international foundation year.

We offer our own International Foundation Year, delivered by Study Group, to prepare you for undergraduate study.

Credit transfer

In some departments, students who have completed (or started and not completed) degrees at other universities can be accepted with advance standing on the second year of a course.

In all cases, it must be shown that work completed is equivalent to that covered at Royal Holloway in terms of standard and content.

Students can apply for second year entry through UCAS. Transcripts and further supporting evidence should then be emailed to Admissions for consideration.


Comment on this page

Did you find the information you were looking for? Is there a broken link or content that needs updating? Let us know so we can improve the page.

Note: If you need further information or have a question that cannot be satisfied by this page, please call our switchboard on +44 (0)1784 434455.

This window will close when you submit your comment.

Add Your Feedback