The Department of Geography at Royal Holloway is one of the leading centres for international geographical research in the UK.
In the 2014 UK Research Excellence Framework (REF) we were ranked second in the UK. We also have consistently high scores for 'overall student satisfaction' in the National Student Survey.
We have an annual intake of about 50 postgraduate taught students on our five MSc/MA programmes:
- MA Cultural Geography
- MSc Geopolitics & Security (taught with the Department of Politics and International Relations)
- MSc Practising Sustainable Development
- MSc Quaternary Science
- MSc Sustainability & Management (taught with the School of Management)
There is a range of funding sources for students on our Masters courses:
- Departmental Masters Scholarships (up to £1,000 each). One per programme.
- Vanina Boix Bursary (up to £1,000). Only students on the Practising Sustainable Development course are eligible.
- MA Cultural Geography Scholarship (up to £1,000).
To be considered for departmental funding, please complete an application form and return it by email to the relevant MA/MSc Director.
- Alumni bursaries. All students who have graduated from an undergraduate programme at Royal Holloway will have an automatic 10% discount on your fees.
We have an more than 90 PhD students in our vibrant community, pursuing cutting-edge research and undertaking advanced training, in a host of areas.