The Drifters Research Group - Department of Earth Sciences
Our main interest is on deep-water marine processes to assess the role of bottom-currents on sedimentation. In the last years, our research focuses on sandy bottom-current deposits, bottom-current reworked sands (BCRSs), sandy bedforms and their link to the behaviour of the current processes immediately above the sea floor (the benthic boundary layer).
Results and deliverables from “The Drifters Research Group” have strong scientific and economic impacts, and we routinely collaborate with high-profile industry partners who fund much of our cutting-edge work. Currently, we are leading a Joint Industry Project (JIP) between academia and industry on the characterisation of deep-water sandy deposits funded by a consortium of companies for the period 2017-2020.
This group consists of 21 researchers including 4 staff, 5 post-doctoral researchers, 11 PhD students and 1 MRes student, as well as 25 direct collaborating researchers from other UK and overseas institutions and companies.
BSRG-AGM December 2019 - Details
- Dr. Javier Dorador (Ichnology. Newton International, RHUL, 2018-2020)
- Dr. Anxo Mena (Sedimentology, paleoceanography, Univ. Vigo / RHUL, 2017-2019)
- Dr. Elda Miramontes (Oceanography, Sedimentology, Seismic stratigraphy, CNRS-UBO, France, 2018-2019)
- Dr. Shaoru Yin (Seismic analysis, Oceanography, Sedimentology, South China Sea, Second Institute of Oceanography, State Oceanic Administration, China / RHUL, 2017-2018)
- Dr. Walter Capella (Sedimentology. Industry grant, RHUL, 2018-2019)
- Adam Kirby, PhD (Contourites, Seismic criteria JIP, 2018-2021)
- Alex Mason, PhD (Paleostraits, South Italy. RHUL, 2017-2020)
- Antoine Thieblemont, PhD (Contourite, Mozambique Channel & Uruguay. Funded by TOTAL, 2016-2019)
- Debora Duarte, PhD (Basin analysis and recent tectonic, Gulf of Cadiz & Morocco, FCT Fellow, 2017-2020)
- Niamh McGovern, PhD (Contourites, Porcupine Basin, 2017-2025)
- Nicholas Belcher, MRes (Bedfoms and trace fossils, GRACO project, Gulf of Cadiz. 2018-2019)
- Oswaldo Mantilla, PhD student (Basin Analysis and deep-water deposits, NW Australia, Funded by ECOPETROL, 2017-2020)
- Sandra de Castro, PhD (Sandy contourites, Sedimentologic criteria in modern environments, JIP, 2017-2020)
- Sara Rodrigues, PhD (Mixed System, modern environments & ancient MSc student record, JIP, 2017-2020)
- Wouter de Weger, PhD (Sandy contourites, Sedimentologic criteria in the ancient record, JIP, 2017-2020)
- ZhiLin Ng, PhD (Sedimentary evolution, Gulf of Cadiz & Morocco, RHUL, 2017-2020)