How to request information from us under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and Environmental Regulations 2004
We handle large amounts of personal data and take our privacy responsibilities very seriously. At the same time, we aim to be as transparent as possible about our decision-making processes and freely publish a significant amount of information about how we work as an organisation.
Requesting information from us
The information below provides brief guidance on how to request information from us. If you need further information or help with a request, please email FOI@royalholloway.ac.uk.
Our publication scheme
Under the Freedom of Information Act 2000, we have a responsibility to produce a publication scheme identifying the information we already publish. We follow the model publication scheme for higher education institutions approved by the Information Commissioner's Office.
You can view our Publication scheme here.
Also under the Freedom of Information Act 2000, you have the right to request recorded information held by us, the right to be told whether or not we hold this information and, if we do, the right to receive this information.
We have the right to refuse your request in certain circumstances, for example if you are asking for personal information or if your request is vexatious or repeated. The exemptions we are most likely to apply are as follows:
- Information about other people - personal information about third parties is exempt if disclosure would be contrary to the data protection principles enshrined under the Data Protection Act.
- Information provided in confidence where disclosure of information would constitute an actionable breach of confidence.
- Commercially sensitive information where disclosure of information would prejudice the commercial interests of Royal Holloway or another body.
- Information where disclosure would endanger the health and safety of other people.
- Information which is readily accessible by other means. This applies to information that is readily available elsewhere e.g. on our website or published elsewhere.
We may also decline to release information if:
- the information is intended for future publication
- the cost of locating or extracting the information is estimated to exceed the appropriate limit. This is currently £450 or 18 hours of staff time at the rate of £25 per hour.
How to make an FOI request
You must make your FOI request in writing, sending your request to:
Freedom of Information
Royal Holloway, University of London
You should include:
- a description of the information you want
- your name and correspondence address
- where you’d like us to send the information (if different from your correspondence address)
How to complain
Environmental information regulations (EIR)
Under The Environmental Regulations 2004 you can request information held by us that relates to the following environmental areas: air, water, soil, land, flora and fauna, biodiversity, emissions, noise, energy, waste, health & safety.
To request information, please email us at FOI@royalholloway.ac.uk. You can find out more from the Information Commissioner’s Office.