Skip to main content


There is a growing Japanese community here at Royal Holloway, and we have excellent links to universities in Japan.

The International Officer responsible for this country is Alice Crichton. If you have any questions about Royal Holloway or making an application, please email 

Alice regularly visits Japan to meet with our applicants and prospective students interested in studying at Royal Holloway. Please feel free to contact her with any questions you may have about studying at Royal Holloway.

The qualifications we accept

Applicants to Royal Holloway come from a diverse range of backgrounds and we accept a broad range of qualifications to our courses. Each applicant is considered carefully on their individual merits, but please see below for the standard minimum entry requirements for students from Japan.

高等学校卒業証書 (Upper Secondary School Leaving Certificate)

If you have completed the Secondary School Leaving Certificate in Japan you will need to take our one year International Foundation Year or International Year One programme, or the equivalent from another institution, before beginning your undergraduate studies.

Bachelor's Degree

Students who have successfully completed one year of a Bachelor's degree in Japan with good grades will be considered for direct entry to the first year of a Royal Holloway Bachelor's degree programme

A levels & International Baccalaureate (IB)

If you have taken A levels or the IB, you  will be considered for direct entry onto our undergraduate programmes. Specific grade requirements can be found in the course finder entry for your chosen course.

University preparation programmes

The Royal Holloway International Study Centre provides an International Foundation Year and International Year One programme, which are designed for international students who do not quite meet the requirements for an undergraduate course. These programmes will help to develop your academic and English language skills in preparation for university. Upon successful completion, you can progress to degree level study at Royal Holloway, University of London.

Bachelor's Degree

Students who have successfully completed a Gakushi (Bachelor's) degree in Japan with good grades will be considered for direct entry to a Masters degree at Royal Holloway. 

Exact requirements will depend upon the programme and your grading scheme, but most programmes will require grade B or B+.

To apply to any of our courses, you need to prove a minimum level of English language proficiency.

Students who do not quite make the English language requirements may be able to take a pre-sessional English language programme.

Undergraduate students applications are made online via UCAS.

Postgraduate applications are made on our website using the online application form.

If you are applying to a University preparation course apply to Royal Holloway directly. There is more application information in the Studying Here section of the Royal Holloway website.

You could be eligible for a scholarship. If find out about undergraduate scholarships here and go here to find out here if you are eligible for a postgraduate scholarship.

If you are considering postgraduate study at Royal Holloway, there may be external funding available to you.

We have a number of permanent representatives in Japan:

iAE Global

Education Tower

T: +81 3 5272 9143

We have agreements with the following Japanese institutions:

Keo University

Ritsumeikan University

Waseda University.


Please see our partner institutions page for more details.

There is a Royal Holloway Alumni Chapter in Tokyo who co-ordinate a popular 'drop-in' party once a month for University of London alumni. Our Regional Alumni Ambassador for Tokyo helps to organise these events and is also available to answer questions from prospective students and attend local exhibition events. For more information and contact details please see the Alumni Chapters section in the Alumni Getting Involved page.  

The British Council in Japan provides comprehensive advice on many aspects of studying in Britain.

The British Embassy in Tokyo for advice on visas and visiting the UK.

The Embassy of Japan in London for services for Japanese living in the UK.

UKCISA promotes and protects the needs of international students in the UK.

Find out more about Royal Holloway

Explore Royal Holloway

Get help paying for your studies at Royal Holloway through a range of scholarships and bursaries.

There are lots of exciting ways to get involved at Royal Holloway. Discover new interests and enjoy existing ones

Heading to university is exciting. Finding the right place to live will get you off to a good start

Whether you need support with your health or practical advice on budgeting or finding part-time work, we can help

Discover more about our 21 departments and schools

Find out why Royal Holloway is in the top 25% of UK universities for research rated ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’

Royal Holloway is a research intensive university and our academics collaborate across disciplines to achieve excellence.

Discover world-class research at Royal Holloway

Discover more about who we are today, and our vision for the future

Royal Holloway began as two pioneering colleges for the education of women in the 19th century, and their spirit lives on today

We’ve played a role in thousands of careers, some of them particularly remarkable

Find about our decision-making processes and the people who lead and manage Royal Holloway today