Placements and industry links
Gain a competitive edge
With your integrated year abroad. This is one of the most exciting elements of our degree programmes, spent in one or two different countries. You’ll have the opportunity to experience living, working or studying overseas.
Expand your horizons
This horizon-expanding year is invaluable in intellectual, career and personal terms. It offers a period of intense immersion during which you will develop the kind of impressive language proficiency, intellectual maturity, resilience and self-reliance that sets you apart from other UK graduates. This year is offered at much reduced fees and is typically funded by the Erasmus exchange scheme.
Not only do our students frequently say it is the best year of their lives, they also develop the kind of sensitivity to cultural difference that is highly prized in the workplace.
“I spent my year abroad in Almeria, Spain, where I taught in a primary school as part of the British Council teaching assistantship scheme.Teaching was one of the best experiences of my life. To see kids as young as five learning English was an exhilarating feeling.
The friendships I made with the teachers were amazing and I’m still in regular contact with most of them.The laidback Spanish lifestyle is one you will get used to quickly, not to mention the wonderful weather!" – Roshni (Hispanic Studies)
Following the success of last year’s pilot scheme, the School is continuing to offer the exciting micro-placements scheme exclusively for 2nd year CLC students.
It will be run by the Careers Service and include the following:
- 3 x 1 hour workshops (autumn term) covering an introduction to the scheme and some ideas around different sectors/job types to consider, CVs and covering letters and interviews. The latter two of these are compulsory for those students who wish to participate
- Personalised written feedback on a CV and covering letter
- A 20-minute 1:1 interview to those students who are successful at the application stage (the number of students interviewed will depend on the number of applicants)
- For the four students who are the most successful at interview stage, the Careers Service will source a short placement in their field of interest (or as close as possible)
- Students who are not sourced a placement are invited to attend a practical ‘bootcamp’ style session where they can access further support identifying organisations and making speculative applications themselves
The first session is ‘Introduction to Placements’
Date: Wednesday 12 October 2016, 2-3pm
For general information about the scheme, please click here.
“I assisted several people in the editorial department with various tasks, and as a result had a very wide-ranging experience. These tasks included editorial-specific tasks, such as reading over and then producing reports. I was also tasked with producing research on authors of potentially published non-fiction books. In addition to completing these editorial tasks I was present at several editorial meetings. The placement allowed me to have a real insight into the industry, and the skills I learned and improved were specific and relevant for potential future employment in the publishing industry and similar sectors.”
Intern @ Atlantic Books
“Typical tasks of my placement included checking and responding to emails from clients, making sure calendars, sales figures and the budget was up to date, sitting in on sponsorship meetings and researching new potential sponsors calling VIP clients and processing bookings as well as planning future promotions of VIP events. The highlights were talking to different members of the Sales & Marketing team and finding out the responsibilities each role requires. It was nice speaking to more senior members of the team and how they have created their careers. I also really enjoyed sitting in on the sponsorship meetings as it was something I knew little about before. There was no low points, the team were friendly and helpful. They gave me a lot of responsibility and treated me like any other colleague.”
Intern @ Legoland Windsor Resort