We use cookies on this site. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Close this message Find out more

Home > Study here home > Accommodation > Erasmus Term 1 - I am an Erasmus student coming to Royal Holloway for term 1 only, how do I look for private sector accommodation?
More in this section FAQ items - students

Erasmus Term 1 - I am an Erasmus student coming to Royal Holloway for term 1 only, how do I look for private sector accommodation?

Erasmus Term 1 - I am an Erasmus student coming to Royal Holloway for term 1 only, how do I look for private sector accommodation?

We suggest that Term 1 only Erasmus students apply for accommodation in the university halls of residence. Students can submit their application via the Accommodation Portal.

However, if Erasmus students coming for Term 1 only prefer to seek accommodation in the private sector, the following information may be helpful.

1. HouseSearch

Student Accommodation seeks to assist students in finding private sector accommodation by operating a private sector website called HouseSearch. Before you use HouseSearch you will first need to create an account (see the ‘Student Login’ tab on the HouseSearch site). Once you have done this, you can then browse all the adverts on the website.

You can use the drop-down boxes on the 'Accommodation Search' page to look for accommodation that best meets your needs (ie. rent, and what month they’re available from etc.). For more information on using HouseSearch, please see this page.

The majority of the adverts placed on the site are for the full academic year. As you will be staying for only one term, we would caution you against accepting a full-year contract in a shared house. Occasionally students are able to secure a room in a shared house for just one term, but in our experience this has not been common. You are, of course, welcome to query this possibility with landlords.

We would suggest, therefore, that you investigate Resident Landlord accommodation. This is where you rent a room in the house that the landlord also lives in. Because of the nature of this let and the type of contract offered, these landlords can often be more flexible in the length of time they will accommodate you for, but you would need to discuss the length of your contract with any landlord directly. Please refer to this link for further information on Resident Landlord accommdoation. You can contact the landlord directly as their contact details will be displayed on their advert.

You can look for this kind of accommodation using the filters on the Accommodation Search page; selecting 'Resident Landlord/Landlady' as the answer to the question 'Living Arrangements?'

If you are interested in a particular property, you will then need to contact the landlord directly for any further information, to arrange a viewing, to discuss the details of your tenancy, and to arrange a contract. Any contract you do sign with a landlord will be a legal agreement between yourself and the landlord, which the university will not be a part of, and it is up to you to determine whether the property you are interested in is safe and suitable, as the properties advertised on our site are not inspected by Royal Holloway. Please ensure that you are happy with, and agree to the terms of the contract before signing, as once signed contracts are legally binding. If you would like some help in understanding the contract before you sign, please click here for further information.

2. Lettings Agents

There are a number of Lettings Agents in the local area, who may also be able to assist you in securing private sector accommodation, although they usually offer 10-12 month tenancies. Lettings Agents will charge fees in respect of their services, when you have found a property to rent through them (there is no fee for using HouseSearch). Lettings Agents do not generally advertise ‘Lodgings’ or ‘Resident Landlord’ properties.

3. Guesthouses

We can provide you with a list of local Guesthouses which rent rooms on a pay-per-night basis; to request a copy, please email studentaccommodation@rhul.ac.uk. I would suggest that you consider these as a short-term expedient, rather than an option for the full length of your stay.

If you have any queries, please contact studentaccommodation@rhul.ac.uk.



Comment on this page

Did you find the information you were looking for? Is there a broken link or content that needs updating? Let us know so we can improve the page.

Note: If you need further information or have a question that cannot be satisfied by this page, please call our switchboard on +44 (0)1784 434455.

This window will close when you submit your comment.

Add Your Feedback