1. Open to UK Year 12 (or equivalent) students in full-time education only.
2. Entrants must be a Year 12 student at a UK school or sixth form college at the time of entry to this competition.
3. Competition closes at midnight on Friday 18 July 2015 (the “Closing Date”).
4. One entry per person. Bulk and/or third party entries will be void.
5. To enter this competition, please write on Applicants for Admission to a Casual Ward before the closing date. Your email must contain your entry, name, age, home address, email address, telephone number, name of school/college. Your submission must be no longer than 500 words. Entries must be typed in English only. Your entry must be written in the body of the email only: attachments will not be considered.
6. Entries must be the original work of the entrant and not previously published anywhere else. Entries must not contain anything defamatory, obscene, illegal or otherwise inappropriate as may be deemed by Royal Holloway, University of London.
7. Entrants will retain copyright in their submitted entries, however, by entering, all entrants licence Royal Holloway worldwide royalty-free perpetual licence to edit, publish and use each entry in any and all media (including print and online) for publicity and news purposes relating to this competition. Royal Holloway is under no obligation to publish any entries. Please note, any publication of an entry does not mean that entrant has won a prize.
8. All valid entries received before the closing date will be reviewed by a sub-panel of judges who will select a shortlist of four entries. The main judging panel will then select an overall winner. The winner and runners-up will be notified during the week commencing Monday 24 August 2015. The judges' decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
9. The judging criteria and apportionment are:
- originality (40 per cent)
- insight (30 per cent)
- power of expression (30 per cent)
10. There will be one overall winner and three runners-up.
11. The winner will win:
- the opportunity to join other entrants on a tour of the Royal Holloway Picture Gallery by the Curator on 13 September 2015 Travel to and from Royal Holloway is not included.
12. The entries of the winner and runners-up will be published online.
13. Winning entrants agree to participate in reasonable publicity relating to this competition, including but not limited to having their name published with their entry.
14. Where relevant, no cash alternative is available, in whole or in part.