Intercultural and international perspectives on management
Contact email: Professor Chris Smith
The Intercultural and International Perspectives on Management Research Group was established in 2012 to provide a supportive environment in which to nurture and promote international and comparative research across the School of Managem ent. The creation of this group reflects long-standing, rich empirically based intellectual strengths in these topic areas within the School.
The group brings together an interdisciplinary collection of staff and doctoral students. Group members possess interests and expertise in international business, human resource management, organisation studies, strategy, entrepreneurship, accounting, marketing, and technology and information management. In terms of region, our activities have highlighted research conducted in locations as diverse as Germany, India, China, Turkey, Japan, post-Soviet countries, Africa, Malaysia, the United Kingdom, Taiwan and Bulgaria.
Major research strengths and interests
- Business and management in emerging/transitional economies
- Analysis and study of multinational corporations, including those operating from developed countries in transitional economies and those from transitional economies operating in other contexts
- Depth of knowledge and expertise developed and enhanced through extensive and long-term field research and linguistic knowledge
- Institutional perspectives/broader contextual impacts on the firm
- Transfer of knowledge and organisational practices
- Comparative approaches to entrepreneurship in small and medium-sized enterprises
Full details of the group’s activities in previous years are available here: 2012-13, 2013-14, 2014-15 and 2015-16.
Future research seminars, workshops and other events 2017-18
While our activities are open to all, we especially welcome new members who participate regularly in group events and help collectively to develop its future strategy. Whether you are a brand new doctoral student or a long-established professor, your enthusiasm and active participation will be equally valued. Do you have any creative ideas for events the group can hold during the coming year?