Purchasing office furniture

Premises order all office furniture on behalf of the College from nominated suppliers, according to standard specifications.

The College Furniture Grant

To submit a bid for central funding from the College Furniture Grant, print off the Furnishings Requisition Form.

Complete the form giving as much detail as you can, using the information from the standard list of office furniture.

Tick the Furniture Grant bid box under the source of funding heading. Return it to Premises. The form must be signed by your Head of Department or Section.

Due to limited funding, we will prioritise bids in the order shown below:

  • to comply with health and safety requirements (including those under the Health and Safety (Display Screen Equipment) Regulations 1992, as amended) or to provide for new or existing staff with additional needs or disabilities (after a work station assessment has been carried out)
  • when we have an increase in staff numbers (new staff members who replace existing staff do not automatically have new furniture)
  • to replace existing furniture or furnishings that are in poor condition (on the basis of the items in the worst condition being replaced first)
  • to provide additional furniture or furnishings not covered by the above criteria (these bids are assessed according to priority and available funding)
Please indicate clearly which category your request comes under on the form

Department funded furniture requests

If your section or department is paying for the furniture, print off the form, complete it, and return it to Premises. You must include a cost code to pay for the furniture, and a signature from the budget holder.

Operator chairs

The College Health and Safety Office and the Occupational Health Doctor have chosen a chair model to suit most requirements. If you have additional needs then contact your workstation assessor.

Research projects

Externally funded research projects (those not funded by the Research Councils) are expected to cover the costs of any furniture or furnishings required from the research grant.

Furniture buying for refurbishment projects or moves

Premises will arrange the furniture buying for large-scale projects in conjunction with the Project Manager. Your input may also be required.

If your department is refurbishing a small area, contact Premises who can advise you. They can also arrange for the furniture supplier to visit you and provide you with suggestions and computer-aided drawings of alternative layouts.

Ordering other furnishings

Blinds and curtains

Complete a form and send to Premises as you would for furniture.

  • The College standard is cream coloured, vertical louvered blinds in offic areas

Carpet and other floorings

Complete a form and send to Premises as you would for furniture. They will contact the carpet contractor on your behalf and arrange for them to measure up the area.

  • The College standard is Heckmondwyke Supacord carpet or similar throughout academic and administrative areas

White boards and notice boards

Complete a form and send to Premises as you would for furniture. In office areas, provide a cost code as your section must pay for the boards.

Other items

For other furnishing items such as desktop screens, meeting room furniture or chairs for visitors, contact Premises who can advise you.

If you have any further questions regarding buying office furniture or completing the form, please contact the Premises office on extension 3273 (01784) 443273.

Royal Holloway, University of London logo