Coming up with job ideas
Once you have thought carefully about your strengths, values and preferences it's time to explore your options. While exploring bear in mind what you discovered!
Ideas for exploring your options
- Investigate what alumni from your department have gone on to do.
- Think about the jobs your family, friends (and their families!) do. It may help to generate some ideas.
- Attend a careers fair.
- As an experiment look at some actual jobs. What aspects do you like/dislike about the jobs you see?
- Attend employer talks and workshops.
- Keep your mind open and explore different types of jobs.
- Review some of the alumni profiles.
- Make a list of things you think you would hate to do. Think about what they have in common and why you have dismissed them?
- Check to see if the careers service is currently running any Choosing a Career workshops.
Once you have tried these suggestions make an appointment to talk over your ideas with a careers consultant.