Between 1901 and 1914, the Royal Family developed their ties with Bedford College, London, while the educational establishment applied for and was granted a Royal Charter.
Her Majesty Queen Alexandra, wife of King Edward VII, became the first Royal Patron of Bedford College.
Bedford College applied for a Royal Charter, giving them the authority to award degrees.
Bedford College was awarded Royal Assent.
The Duchess of Marlborough became closely involved with the appeal to help Bedford College raise funds to enable the move of the College to Regent’s Park.
HM Queen Mary, consort of King George V, opened the Regent’s Park site of Bedford College. The Queen is seen leaving the Tate Library with the Principal; Miss Margaret Tuke (image to the right).
Queen Mary's hat was decorated with masses of ostrich feathers in pale pink, blue and mauve to match her dress. Students had been taught the court curtsey by a dancing mistress.
Queen Mary and Queen Dowager Alexandra were joint patrons of Bedford and gave special sanctions for emblems representative of themselves to be embodied in the new Bedford College Arms.
The Royal Holloway Archives and Special Collections records relating to the histories of Royal Holloway College, Bedford College, Royal Holloway and Bedford New College, as well as personal papers of former staff and students.
Find out more