You can copy much of the material in our archives and special collections. However, in some cases, documents are too fragile to copy.
Copying documents for personal research
- You can photocopy documents unless they are bound volumes, fragile or above A3 size. We have a digital scanner which will copy up to A4 size.
- Due to copyright constraints only one copy of each document or up to a chapter or 10% of published books can be copied.
- A Copyright & Citation Declaration form must be completed and signed (by the person who is receiving the copies) and payment must be made in advance. You must make a note of the reference of the document you intend to cite from or copy, as the archivist is not able to supply these once you have left the reading room.
- For Reading Room users, black and white copies are charged at 30p per sheet and digital scans (if the document is not too fragile or large) at £5 each.
- It is usually not possible to copy documents while you wait. We will post your copies on to you.
- If you’re not able to visit yourself, you can order photocopies via our online store. Please call us on +44 (0)1784 443814 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions.
- If you want to bring in your own digital camera, please let us know in advance and read our policy and safe handling guidelines.
Obtaining permission to publish
- If you want to publish any material you have photocopied from our archives e.g. on websites or in publications, please apply in writing to our Archivist.
- Our Archivist will refer your request to other copyright holders as necessary.
- General acknowledgements for permission to use material from our archives should be made to Archives, Royal Holloway, University of London in the first reference and RHUL Archives thereafter.
- Footnotes should include reference to the College and employ references in use in the Archives e.g RHUL Archives, BC GB/150/5/1.
- We will charge a reproduction fee if you’re publishing material from our archives for commercial purposes. We do not usually charge for the use of material in academic works.
- If you’d like to donate a copy of the published work to our archives, please contact the Archivist beforehand.
Call us on +44 (0)1784 443814
Email us at email@example.com
Write to us at:
College Archives and Special Collections
Royal Holloway, University of London