Home > International home > Applying
More in this section Applying

Applying for a course

Royal Holloway, University of London provides courses to over 8,500 students. Its innovative courses, diverse student population and campus setting make it an attractive study destination to students from over 100 countries.


Most of our undergraduate degree courses are three years in length but in some subjects we also offer four year degree courses. Many students also choose to spend a year of their undergraduate degree outside the UK studying at one of Royal Holloway's partner universities.

Undergraduate students can choose to study one subject area in detail through a single honours degree, or to study two subject areas through a combined degree (both subject areas 50:50) or a major/minor degree. To find out more about the undergraduate courses offered at Royal Holloway, please use the Find your course search facility.

All undergraduate applications are made through the University and College Admissions Service (UCAS).  All the information you should require when making an undergraduate application to Royal Holloway is provided on the Study here pages of the website.


Masters degrees (MA/MSc/MBA) are normally 12 months in length and postgraduate research degrees (MPhil/PhD) normally take three or four years to complete.

To find out more about the postgraduate taught courses offered at Royal Holloway, please use the Find your course search facility.  Information on Research degrees; how to find the right research degree course and how to apply can be found on our Research degree pages.

All applications to postgraduate courses can be made online, and all the information you should require when making a postgraduate application is provided on the Study here pages of the website.

University preparation & English language programmes

If you require a little more preparation before starting an undergraduate or postgraduate course, Royal Holloway International offers a range of courses to help. The International Foundation Year is designed to prepare students academically for undergraduate study and the Pre-Masters Diploma for International Students offers preparation for postgraduate courses. Pre-sessional English language courses are available to all students whose IELTS results are slightly below the College requirement, meaning they don't need to re-take any English language tests before study.  Find out how to apply on our University preparation page.

Entry requirements

Information on entry requirements for the countries Royal Holloway visit is available on the Country pages. To find out more or make an enquiry, please contact our admissions team.

Specific entry requirements for courses (including A-level and IB requirements and specific requirements for postgraduate taught courses) can be found using the Find your course search facility.

If you have graduated from High School after eleven or twelve years of study, you may be required to take a university foundation programme before you are able to study on a three year undergraduate degree. Further information will be given on your country page, or by contacting us.

Students whose first language is not English should also check the English language requirements for their chosen course. For students who may have slightly missed the requirement, Royal Holloway offers pre-sessional English language courses - meaning there's no need to re-take your IELTS test.

An academic view of campus


Comment on this page

Did you find the information you were looking for? Is there a broken link or content that needs updating? Let us know so we can improve the page.

Note: If you need further information or have a question that cannot be satisfied by this page, please call our switchboard on +44 (0)1784 434455.

This window will close when you submit your comment.

Add Your Feedback