Electronic Engineering is at the heart of many systems that we use on a daily basis, including mobile communications, computers, transport systems, most domestic appliances, TV, radio, music studios and gaming devices. There is nothing around us today that has not been engineered to be fit-for-purpose. Electronic Engineering is a broad and ever-expanding discipline, providing ample scope for students seeking to carry out research.
At Royal Holloway, University of London we are building world-class centres of expertise through research groups in areas such as audio and voice, nano-technology and power systems. Our research group leaders are experts in their fields and work with many external partners both in academia and in industry, offering opportunities to specialise in research that puts technology into the service of humankind.
You can expect to enjoy an inspiring and collaborative research culture where you will be fully involved in the research activities of the new Department as it undergoes exciting developments in an established university setting. With a highly supportive staff network, you’ll become a part of a dynamic research culture. Additionally, the department is in receipt of a HEFCE-funded initiative to encourage more female engineers. We are dedicated to promoting equality in science, and we strongly encourage and support female applicants.
You will study at one of the UK’s most beautiful campuses, and be among the first to use our purpose-built state-of-the-art facilities dedicated to the creative engineering process. Our location is in close proximity to London and to the South East Regional Hub of electronics businesses.
We invite strong graduates with an Electronic Engineering background and students with professional experience to apply for our MSc by Research.
- You will have the opportunity to gain advanced, research-specific skills and academic knowledge to take forward into further study or into your career.
- You will become part of a dynamic research environment where you will acquire industrially relevant knowledge to make a successful contribution to tomorrow’s systems that support everyday life.
Teaching & assessment
The Electronic Engineering MSc by Research is a research degree with the chosen topic being negotiated with a member of staff during the application stage. This topic will be an area that fits well within one of our research groups.
Candidates are able to attend third and fourth-year modules within the department’s MEng programme as desired to support their research (please note that these are not assessed as part of the MSc by Research).
There will be introductory activities on research skills, presentations, writing reports and laboratory safety.
You will be assessed by a dissertation.
A relevant subject.
Please note that this is not a taught degree programme.
English language requirements
We accept the following internationally-recognised English language qualifications:
- Pearson Test of English
- Cambridge ESOL
Your future career
Electronic Engineering by Research at Royal Holloway, University of London has been designed for students to take their first steps towards an academic career, further postgraduate study or for application in industry.
You’ll gain valuable research skills and broaden your academic knowledge, making you a strong candidate for PhD study as well as an attractive prospect for employers in a variety of fields. We are supported by our Industry Advisory Board to ensure that the courses we offer are directly addressing the specific needs of industry and are kept updated and relevant. Our connections with industry ensure that graduates will enter employment prepared to make their mark in the creation of the next generation of technological solutions for business and industry.
- Strong industry with the majority of leading UK-based electronics companies providing extensive networking opportunities
- Supported by the South East regional hub of electronics and Industrial Advisory Board
- On-site Careers and Employability Service to provide support and advice
Fees & funding
Home and EU students tuition fee per year*: £7200
International students tuition fee per year**: £14600
Other essential costs***: There are no single associated costs greater than £50 per item on this course.
* and ** These tuition fees apply to students enrolled on a full-time basis. Students studying part-time are charged a pro-rata tuition fee, usually equivalent to approximately half the full-time fee. Please email email@example.com for further information on part-time fees. All postgraduate fees are subject to inflationary increases. Royal Holloway's policy is that any increases in fees will not exceed 5% for continuing students. For further information see tuition fees and our terms and conditions.
*** These estimated costs relate to studying this particular degree programme at Royal Holloway. Costs, such as accommodation, food, books and other learning materials and printing, have not been included.