English language support
The Centre for the Development of Academic Skills (CeDAS) offers a range of Academic English courses and one-to-one writing tutorials to give you extra support as you study for your main degree programme. Whether you need advice on academic writing, are confused by an area of grammar or simply need some tips on how to take better notes during lectures, you should take a look at the courses available to all non-native speakers of English.
Am I eligible for Academic English support?
We provide this support for non-native speakers of English who are studying on a full-time degree or on exchange schemes at Royal Holloway. The courses and one-to-one consultations will help you meet the challenges of:
- tackling long reading lists and reading to write
- writing an essay using the appropriate structure and academic style
- following academic lectures and giving presentations
- taking part in academic discussions
Additionally, the courses provide practice in these specific areas:
- grammar for written English
- pronunciation skills (vowel/consonant sounds, intonation, stress)
- understanding the news in English and discussing current affairs.
Our courses are mostly aimed at those with IELTS scores of below 7.0. However, many students with higher IELTS scores, who have never studied in the UK before, have found our courses very useful for their studies.