Our 30-minute 1:1 Writing Tutorials offer undergraduates and taught postgraduates the opportunity to meet an academic writing specialist (either face-to-face or via Skype) and get valuable, individually tailored advice on how to improve your writing. Our writing tutors are all experienced academic writers who actively disseminate and publish their work and have expertise in teaching academic writing and English for Academic Purposes. Our tutors come from a variety of academic backgrounds and disciplines and as such we are unable to advise on subject specific content. Things that we commonly help students with are:
- How to understand, approach and stay focussed on an assignment task
- How to organise ideas on the page so that you maintain focus and your discussion flows smoothly
- Writing in an appropriate academic style
- Building an argument and critical thinking / analysis
- How to quote, paraphrase and summarise effectively
- Understanding the academic genre which you have been asked to write in
- Queries about sentence structures, grammar, punctuation and word choice.
The service is NOT set up to:
- ‘Fix up’ your writing at the last minute
- Proofread your work (see details of the RHUL proofreading service below) or correct grammar and spelling issues for you
- Give advice on content or offer subject tutoring
- Look at whole essays or chapters
- Advise on personal statements or other non-academic forms of writing
- Advise on ‘take home exams’
To get maximum benefit from the tutorial, please send a sample of your writing or a draft of your current assignment (up to 2,000 words) to email@example.com 24 hours in advance of the session. It is VITAL that you also include details of the assignment task (e.g the title, question or instructions you have received from your lecturers).
Unfortunately we are not able to offer tutorials to Postgraduate Research students, this includes Masters by research and PhD students.
Booking a 1:1 tutorial
- Tutorials are available throughout the year to undergraduates and taught postgraduates only
- Students can book up to ten tutorials per calendar year, but cannot book more than one tutorial in the same week
- Bookings open two weeks before each tutorial takes place and close one day before
- 1:1 writing tutorials are held in the International Building room INTER-004, at Bedford Square, or via Skype
To register, click here or click the red Register button on the right hand side of this page. Then sign in using your Royal Holloway username and password. Under the 'book by category' tab, select 'Writing Tutorials' to choose your preferred date, time and location.
If you are not able to book a tutorial, you can book onto a workshop or go along to the Writing Cafe (see below) or a Writing Drop-in! Drop-in details will be available on our Facebook and Twitter accounts with the hashtag #SkillUp.
The Disability and Dyslexia Services also offer 1:1 consultation opportunities. Please refer to the Disability and Dyslexia Services pages for further information. If you have been diagnosed with a Specific Learning Difference, believe that you should be tested for a Specific Learning Difference, a disability, medical condition which impacts negatively on your academic performance, or have concerns about your ability to cope with the demands of university study, please refer to the Disability and Dyslexia Services pages.