Independent researcher who wants to move on to a PhD? Just interested in what further study might look like?
Take a first step towards doctoral study: explore your area of interest in depth, test out a research topic, and learn the skills of longer scholarly writing and film production. You'll be supervised one-to-one, and then assessed entirely on your research dissertation.
Along with your one-to-one supervisions, you'll take part in an interdisciplinary course in critical theory and methodologies. There, you'll learn about the key thinkers in the field, and the critical approaches you'll need for your dissertation.
Teaching & assessment
The MA is assessed entirely on the research dissertation (maximum 40,000 words), which is supervised one-to-one. It is intended to give you scope to explore your area of interest in depth, test out a possible research topic, and learn the skills of extended scholarly writing and/or film production.
UK Honours degree or equivalent.
Normally we require a UK 2:1 (Honours) or equivalent in relevant subjects but we will consider high 2:2 or relevant work experience. Candidates with professional qualifications in an associated area may be considered. Where a ‘good 2:2’ is considered, we would normally define this as reflecting a profile of 57% or above.
International & EU requirements
English language requirements
All teaching at Royal Holloway is in English. You will therefore need to have good enough written and spoken English to cope with your studies right from the start.
The scores we require
- IELTS: 6.5 overall. Writing 6.5. No other subscore lower than 5.5.
- Pearson Test of English: 61 overall. Writing 61. No other subscore lower than 51.
- Trinity College London Integrated Skills in English (ISE): ISE III.
- Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) grade C.
For more information about country-specific entry requirements for your country please see here. For international students who do not meet the direct entry requirements, we offer a Pre-Master’s Diploma for International Students (PDIS), a one-year full-time programme that will prepare you for postgraduate study in the UK. For more information please see here.
Your future career
This course is particularly attractive as a first step towards a PhD – many researchers who take this course go on to more advanced PhDs on the topic they study here.
Graduates have gone on to work in independent television and film production, for broadcasters like the BBC and ITV, interactive games development, and for distributors, exhibitors, talent agencies and entertainment lawyers.
Fees & funding
Home and EU students tuition fee per year*: £4345
International students tuition fee per year**: £13500
Other essential costs***: There are no single associated costs greater than £50 per item on this course
* and ** These tuition fees apply to students enrolled on a full-time basis. Students studying part-time are charged a pro-rata tuition fee, usually equivalent to approximately half the full-time fee. Please email email@example.com for further information on part-time fees. All postgraduate fees are subject to inflationary increases. Royal Holloway's policy is that any increases in fees will not exceed 5% for continuing students. For further information see tuition fees and our terms and conditions.
*** These estimated costs relate to studying this particular degree programme at Royal Holloway. Costs, such as accommodation, food, books and other learning materials and printing, have not been included.