Computer Science is a broad and ever-expanding discipline, providing ample scope for students seeking to carry out original scientific research. Study Computer Science by Research at Royal Holloway, University of London and you’ll select from one of six research disciplines in order to take your first steps towards a scientific research-based career.
You’ll study in a department renowned for the quality of its research publications, with the Royal Holloway Department of Computer Science ranked 11th in the UK (Research Excellence Framework 2014). You’ll specialise in one of six research areas as you work towards your own unique individual project, studying under the guidance of an expert in your chosen field.
Strong graduates with a Computer Science background and students with professional experience will gain advanced, research-specific skills and academic knowledge to take forward into further study or their graduate careers. You’ll become a part of a lively research culture and a highly supportive staff network.
The Royal Holloway Department of Computer Science benefits from close proximity to the M4 corridor – also known as ‘England’s Silicon Valley’ – providing students with excellent networking, placement and collaboration opportunities. Follow your passion for Computer Science and graduate with a bright future in research.
- Select from six research disciplines, each led by our expert academics.
- Benefit from strong industry ties, with close proximity to ‘England’s Silicon Valley’.
- Graduate with a Master's degree by research offering excellent graduate employability prospects.
Teaching & assessment
Assessment will be based primarily on the chosen research project, the centrepiece of the course, which counts for 75% of the total mark for the MSc. It will consist of sizeable, structured piece of individual research. The project itself will normally be in a research area associated with the strand that the student has followed during the first term. The other 25% of the total mark is based on coursework and a presentation.
Relevant professional qualifications and relevant experience in an associated area will also be considered.
Please note that this is not a taught degree programme. Applicants for Computer Science (MSc by Research) should use the Application for a Postgraduate Research Programme form, not the form for Taught Masters programmes.
International & EU requirements
English language requirements
All teaching at Royal Holloway is in English. You will therefore need to have good enough written and spoken English to cope with your studies right from the start.
The scores we require
- IELTS: 6.5 overall. No subscore lower than 5.5.
- Pearson Test of English: 61 overall. Writing 54. No subscore lower than 51.
- Trinity College London Integrated Skills in English (ISE): ISE III.
For more information about country-specific entry requirements for your country please see here. For international students who do not meet the direct entry requirements, we offer a Pre-Master’s Diploma for International Students (PDIS), a one-year full-time programme that will prepare you for postgraduate study in the UK. For more information please see here.
Your future career
Computer Science by Research at Royal Holloway, University of London has been designed for students to take their first steps towards an academic career, further postgraduate study or a role in a research-focussed organisation.
You’ll gain valuable research skills and broaden your academic knowledge, making you a strong candidate for PhD study as well as an attractive prospect for employers in a variety of fields. Our recent alumni have gone on to enjoy rewarding careers in organisations such as British Aerospace, Microsoft, Amazon, and American Express.
- Strong industry ties help to provide placement and networking opportunities with some of the country’s leading institutions.
- Our on-site Careers and Employability Service will provide you with support and careers guidance throughout your studies
Fees & funding
Home and EU students tuition fee per year*: £4260
International students tuition fee per year**: £14600
Other essential costs***: There are no single associated costs greater than £50 per item on this course
* and ** These tuition fees apply to students enrolled on a full-time basis. Students studying part-time are charged a pro-rata tuition fee, usually equivalent to approximately half the full-time fee. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information on part-time fees. All postgraduate fees are subject to inflationary increases. Royal Holloway's policy is that any increases in fees will not exceed 5% for continuing students. For further information see tuition fees and our terms and conditions.
*** These estimated costs relate to studying this particular degree programme at Royal Holloway. Costs, such as accommodation, food, books and other learning materials and printing, have not been included.