Refine your research skills and develop advanced scientific and technical expertise with a one-year Masters by Research programme in Biological Sciences.
Choose your preferred research area from Biomedical Sciences, Plant Molecular Sciences and Ecology, Evolution and Behaviour to learn alongside academic staff working at the frontiers of knowledge in their particular fields. Find out more about our Research Projects.
You’ll contribute to a renowned research culture, with Royal Holloway, University of London School of Biological Sciences ranked 25th in the UK for influential research output by the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014.
Study in our state-of-the-art laboratories, providing advanced equipment for bioinformatics, mass spectrometry and protein and gene sequencing. You’ll have access to on-site woodland and meadow field testing facilities, and our campus is within easy reach of sites of special scientific interest, including Windsor Great Park, Box Hill and Chobham Common.
Gain the generic skills and hands-on experience you need to continue into further study as a PhD student, or progress towards a research career in a variety of different sectors.
Find out more about applying here
- Develop research skills to progress to further study at PhD level or a research career in a variety of sectors.
- Take part in world-class research led by renowned academics.
- Use our state-of-the-art facilities, including equipment for bioinformatics, mass spectrometry and protein and gene sequencing.
- Study on a biodiverse campus with on-site woodland and meadow field testing facilities, within reach of sites of special scientific interest including Windsor Great Park and Box Hill.
- Carry out research in biomedical sciences, plant molecular sciences and ecology, or evolution and behaviour.
Teaching & assessment
Your understanding and interpretation of novel scientific data will be assessed in the form of a thesis, while your training in transferable skills (provided by the taught component) will be assessed by coursework.
Biology, Biochemistry or a related discipline.
UK 2:2 (Honours) or equivalent, in Biology, Biochemistry or a related discipline. However, individual supervisors might request a higher degree classification.
English language requirements
We accept the following internationally-recognised English language qualifications:
- Pearson Test of English
- Cambridge ESOL
Your future career
A Masters in Biological Sciences at Royal Holloway, University of London is ideal for students who want to continue to further PhD study or pursue a research career in a variety of sectors. You will develop a range of advances research techniques as well as a range of transferrable skills, including experimental design and data analysis, as well as presenting research findings to an audience in the form of a conference presentation.
Our Masters graduates have gone on to secure PhD positions at Royal Holloway, the University of Oxford, Imperial College London, the Max Plank Institute, Germany, St George's University of London and MRC Harwell, as well as prestigious careers including Senior Keeper in Herpetology at London Zoo and Species Recovery Officer at Plantlife International.
- Around a quarter of graduates secure PhD positions at Royal Holloway or elsewhere.
- Excellent preparation for a research career in a variety of fields.
- A close-knit graduate network to draw on, with alumni often visiting Royal Holloway to share their experiences.
Fees & funding
Home and EU students tuition fee per year*: £7195
International students tuition fee per year**: £17200
Other essential costs***: 0
* and ** These tuition fees apply to students enrolled on a full-time basis. Students studying part-time are charged a pro-rata tuition fee, usually equivalent to approximately half the full-time fee. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information on part-time fees. All postgraduate fees are subject to inflationary increases. Royal Holloway's policy is that any increases in fees will not exceed 5% for continuing students. For further information see tuition fees and our terms and conditions.
*** These estimated costs relate to studying this particular degree programme at Royal Holloway. Costs, such as accommodation, food, books and other learning materials and printing, have not been included.