Our department is internationally recognised for its teaching and research, making it an ideal environment to study an undergraduate programme.
Our department is internationally recognised for its teaching and research, making it an ideal environment to study an undergraduate programme. Our friendly and approachable staff are leading authorities in their fields and, together with state-of-the-art facilities, provide students with the best possible opportunity to succeed.
- Top 5 Earth Science department (The Times’ Good University Guide)
- High quality teaching from internationally recognised experts
- Strong industrial contacts and alumni links
- Lyell work experience and Lyell Research Scholarships
- Bedford scholarships
- Better than 90% in employment or further study following graduation
- Campus accommodation
- On-campus olympic standard sports facilities
- Sports scholarships
We accept a total of about 65 undergraduate students every year, who study a wide range of 3-year (BSc) and 4-year (MSci) single honours programmes. All of our programmes have been accredited by the Geological Society as a fast track route to Fellowship with professional recognition as a Chartered Geologist. Furthermore several of our programmes can be combined with either a year in a foreign university or a year in industry.
Teaching is supported by an extensive fieldwork training programme with field studies in the UK, EU and US. It benefits significantly from the wide range of research activities and expertise within the department, and from industrial and commercial partnerships.