Skip to main content

Hong Kong

Royal Holloway, University of London welcomes applications from students from Hong Kong to join our fantastic, close-knit community.

Royal Holloway is a popular choice for students from Hong Kong, who take courses at all study levels, including undergraduate, postgraduate, and university preparation.

We are a pioneering university, steeped in history and culture, yet constantly evolving and adapting to the demands of modern higher education.

As one of the UK’s leading research-intensive universities, we are home to some of the world’s foremost authorities in the sciences, arts, business, economics and law. Through world-class research that expands minds and changes lives, the dedication of our teachers and the Royal Holloway experience, ours is a community that inspires individuals to succeed.

We are strengthened by diversity, and welcome students and academics who travel from all over the world to study and work here, ensuring an international and multi-cultural perspective within a close-knit and historic campus.

Find out more in a one-to-one appointment

The International team would love to meet you, so we are offering 30-minute counselling sessions on MS Teams. These meetings are an informal opportunity to ask any questions you have about applying or studying at Royal Holloway, University of London, and do not affect admission. Book an appointment now to find out more about Royal Holloway.

Book an appointment
Entry requirements

Applicants to Royal Holloway come from a diverse range of backgrounds and we accept a broad range of qualifications to our courses. Each applicant is considered carefully on their individual merits, but please see below for the standard minimum entry requirements for students from Hong Kong.

Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE)

If you have taken the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education you will be considered for direct entry onto our undergraduate programmes. Specific grade requirements will depend on the course you are applying for, but departments will usually require between 5,4,4 and 5,5,5 including any subjects specified in GCE A level entry requirements.

Bachelor's Degree

Students who have successfully completed one year of a Bachelor's degree in Indonesia with good grades will be considered for direct entry to the first year of a Royal Holloway Bachelor's degree programme.

A levels & International Baccalaureate (IB)

If you have taken A levels or the IB, you  will be considered for direct entry onto our undergraduate programmes.  Specific grade requirements can be found in the course finder entry for your chosen course.

University preparation programmes

The Royal Holloway International Study Centre provides an International Foundation Year and International Year One programme, which are designed for international students who do not quite meet the requirements for an undergraduate course. These programmes will help to develop your academic and English language skills in preparation for university. Upon successful completion, you can progress to degree level study at Royal Holloway, University of London.

Master’s Degree

If you have successfully completed a Bachelor's degree at a reputable university, in  an appropriate subject and you have good grades, then and will be considered for entry to a Royal Holloway Master's degree programme. Exact requirements will depend upon the programme you are applying for and the university you have studied at, but most departments will ask for a Bachelor's degree with a Second Class Honours, Lower Division or a Second Class Honours, Upper Division.

Research Degree (MPhil/PhD)

If you have completed a 2-year Master's degree in an appropriate subject with good grades/GPA at an accredited university you will be considered for entry to a Royal Holloway MPhil/PhD programme. Individual departments have their own entry requirements and prospective students are encouraged to contact their chosen department for more information.

To apply to any of our courses, you need to prove a minimum level of English language proficiency.

Students who do not quite make the English language requirements may be able to take a pre-sessional English language programme.

Fees vary between courses each year. Specific information about fees can be found in the course finder entry for your chosen course.

You could be eligible for one of our undergraduate or postgraduate scholarships.

If you're joining us as a postgraduate taught student, pay your tuition fee deposit by June 1st 2024 to be automatically awarded the Royal Holloway International Postgraduate Early Payment Discount.

If you are considering postgraduate study at Royal Holloway, there may be external funding available to you.

Sorcha Breslin is your dedicated International team member, here to answer any questions you have about applying and studying at Royal Holloway as an international student from Hong Kong. Stella Tian is the regional manager responsible for supporting students. Please get in touch on any of the following, or chat to us on Unibuddy:, +44 (0)7721 128547 (0)7867 454961

We make regular trips to Hong Kong to meet with prospective students. We will list any trips on our international events webpage, but please do get in touch with us to find out more details.

Book a one-to-one appointment

We are really keen to connect with students interested in studying with us. We offer 30 minute, one-to-one counselling sessions via Microsoft Teams. These chats are informal and do not affect admission - they're simply an opportunity for you to learn more about Royal Holloway and studying in the UK. We welcome any questions you might have about our application processes, study programmes, and campus life.

Book a campus tour

We are delighted to be able to offer a guided campus tour to any international students interested in studying here at Royal Holloway, whether you have already applied to study with us, or are just exploring your options in Higher Education.

One of our fantastic International Recruitment team members, or one of our friendly and knowledgeable Student Ambassadors, will show you around our beautiful campus and answer any questions you might have about life at Royal Holloway.

We have an exchange agreement with the University of Hong Kong. For more details, please visit our partner universities page.

You can find out more about life at Royal Holloway in the student life section of our website.

Royal Holloway has an active Hong Kong Society which many students join when starting their studies at Royal Holloway. The RHUL Hong Kong Society organises academic and extra-curricular activities for its members and the wider community at Royal Holloway on a regular basis.

Royal Holloway also has an engaged Chinese Students and Scholars Association.

Our Regional Alumni Ambassador in Hong Kong who organises events for Royal Holloway alumni in Hong Kong and is also available to answer questions from prospective students and attend local exhibition events. For more information and contact details please see the Alumni Chapters section in the Alumni Getting Involved page.

The British Council in Hong Kong provides comprehensive advice on many aspects of studying in Britain.

The British Consulate-General in Hong Kong for advice on visas and visiting the UK.

The Chinese Embassy in London for services for Chinese citizens living in the UK.

UKCISA promotes and protects the needs of international students in the UK.

Explore Royal Holloway

Get help paying for your studies at Royal Holloway through a range of scholarships and bursaries.

There are lots of exciting ways to get involved at Royal Holloway. Discover new interests and enjoy existing ones.

Heading to university is exciting. Finding the right place to live will get you off to a good start.

Whether you need support with your health or practical advice on budgeting or finding part-time work, we can help.

Discover more about our academic departments and schools.

Find out why Royal Holloway is in the top 25% of UK universities for research rated ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’.

Royal Holloway is a research intensive university and our academics collaborate across disciplines to achieve excellence.

Discover world-class research at Royal Holloway.

Discover more about who we are today, and our vision for the future.

Royal Holloway began as two pioneering colleges for the education of women in the 19th century, and their spirit lives on today.

We’ve played a role in thousands of careers, some of them particularly remarkable.

Find about our decision-making processes and the people who lead and manage Royal Holloway today.