The Department of Mathematics has strong expertise in information security and plays an active part in the Information Security Group (ISG) at Royal Holloway, offering the world-renowned Masters in Information Security.
Information Security MSc
The electronic handling of information is one of the defining technologies of our age, which is rapidly growing. And while there are many benefits to this technology, there are major threats to businesses, governments and individuals, such as information manipulation, deliberate damage to stored information and blackmail associated with the threat of damage.
This one year Masters is taught by the Information Security Group (part of the same school as Mathematics) and covers countermeasures to these threats, including cryptography, computer security and fraud detection. You can also choose to study the course over two years part-time, or three to five years (CPD). A year in industry variant is also available.
Why choose this course?
- It was the first course of its kind in the world. Our Information Security Group (ISG) was recognised by the Queen when they were awarded a Queen’s Anniversary Prize in 1998 for ‘offering world-leading independent expertise in a field of crucial importance’.
- Multiple collaborative links with companies and government departments have been formed over the years, with these informing us as to what our degree should cover. In a typical year you’ll benefit from lectures and seminars with many guest speakers as a result of these ties.
- You can use virtualisation software from the ISG Lab in which you can experiment with network security settings and concepts introduced in these units. Our other facilities include a Penetration Testing Laboratory and the Smart Card Centre where specialist equipment and tools may be accessed by those undertaking a practical project.
- The ISG also recognises the standing of the CISSP qualification in the workplace. We’ve established an arrangement with (ISC)2, which means you can attend an intensive two-day CISSP revision course and sit the exam at Royal Holloway.
- Our cryptographers have close links with Bletchley Park meaning you can visit the historic site during your studies.