It's easy, as long as your computer meets the minimum system requirements outlined here for Lync.
The basic function of Lync, Instance messaging or IM only requires a keyboard but for a richer experience you will need the following.
- Microphone and speakers for voice calls
- Video camera for video calls
Steps to install Lync
Lync software is available from within your web mail page and Lync 2010 is the current supported client at Royal Holloway.
1. Go to the new Outlook web app page mail.rhul.ac.uk Log on with your username and password.
Once on the page go to the top right, click on the icon next to your username. Select Office 365 settings from the drop down.
2. On the Office 365 settings page, click Software.
On the next page select Lync and go down to the text, Not ready to install the latest version of Lync? Click on Install Lync 2010.
3. Click on the Install Lync button - for the 64bit version click Advanced.
Once this is finished click set up. This will configure and apply any updates and once finished you will be able to login to Lync.
For Royal Holloway Office 365 - Lync 2010 FAQ home page click here