Skip to main content

Contractor appointed for Rusham Park student village

Contractor appointed for Rusham Park student village

  • Date30 March 2021

Royal Holloway has announced Balfour Beatty as its preferred bidder for the development of a student village at Rusham Park in Egham, as well as the stock transfer of George Eliot Hall.

In partnership with the university, Balfour Beatty will design, build, finance and operate the Rusham Park project under a 53 year concession contract.

In 2019, a series of public consultation events were held at Royal Holloway and the university’s estate development plans were shared with the local community, staff and students for their feedback on the new development, which was used to help shape the proposals. The revised outline planning application for the development at Rusham Park was approved by Runnymede Borough Council in February 2021.

Balfour Beatty Investments will invest 85% of the equity to finance the Rusham Park project with Royal Holloway investing the remaining 15%.

Balfour Beatty’s UK Construction Services business will be responsible for the construction of the new 1,400 student study bedrooms at Rusham Park, which will start to be built in 2022 once all planning permissions are approved. The build is expected to be completed in 2024.

Once complete, the project will form a critical part of the university’s plan to provide on campus affordable, high-quality living, social and amenity spaces for its student population.

It was also decided in 2017 that a contractor was to be sourced to help manage part of the day to day running of George Eliot Hall. Balfour Beatty is now the preferred bidder.

Their management, which will start early next year, of George Eliot Hall will include housekeeping, building maintenance, ground maintenance and waste disposal, with Royal Holloway continuing to run the reception and post room and retain all security and student wellbeing services. The meeting room will also be made available to staff.

Michael Berry, Director of Estates for Royal Holloway, said: “We are very pleased to be able to announce Balfour Beatty as our preferred bidder for the development of the Rusham Park student village and as a maintenance contractor for George Eliot Hall.

“Our goal is to continue to evolve our campus, developing the services and facilities we offer in order to enhance the student experience and create the optimum environment for student success.”

Related topics

Explore Royal Holloway

Get help paying for your studies at Royal Holloway through a range of scholarships and bursaries.

There are lots of exciting ways to get involved at Royal Holloway. Discover new interests and enjoy existing ones.

Heading to university is exciting. Finding the right place to live will get you off to a good start.

Whether you need support with your health or practical advice on budgeting or finding part-time work, we can help.

Discover more about our academic departments and schools.

Find out why Royal Holloway is in the top 25% of UK universities for research rated ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’.

Royal Holloway is a research intensive university and our academics collaborate across disciplines to achieve excellence.

Discover world-class research at Royal Holloway.

Discover more about who we are today, and our vision for the future.

Royal Holloway began as two pioneering colleges for the education of women in the 19th century, and their spirit lives on today.

We’ve played a role in thousands of careers, some of them particularly remarkable.

Find about our decision-making processes and the people who lead and manage Royal Holloway today.