Experience a year studying abroad
If you’re a first or second year student at Royal Holloway, you can apply to spend a year abroad under the International Exchange programme.
Where can I go?
We have exchange agreements with universities in Australia, Canada, China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, New Zealand, Mexico and the USA. Find out who our international exchange partners are below.
Who is eligible to apply?
The selection process is quite competitive. We look for students who are:
- academically able
- culturally adaptable and can act as ambassadors for Royal Holloway
- capable of deriving maximum beneﬁt from a year abroad
Will my year abroad count towards my degree?
Yes, you can only apply to do an international exchange as an integral year i.e. your year abroad will count towards your degree.
Will I still have to pay tuition fees?
- If you take your exchange year as an integral year, you will have to pay tuition fees to Royal Holloway but at a considerably reduced rate.
- You won’t have to pay any tuition fees to your host university overseas.
What about PhD students?
PhD students are also eligible to do an international exchange. For example, if you’re studying for a PhD in History or English, you can apply to go to Yale. Please note that:
- During your exchange year, you will pay full tuition fees to Royal Holloway
- The time you spend abroad must not add any additional time to your studies.
How do I apply for an International Exchange?
Our Component International Exchange Brochure sets out the process for applying. You may also find the following documents useful:
- Undergraduate Study Abroad Application Form 2021-22
- Postgraduate Study Abroad Application Form 2021-22
- List of Departmental Advisers
- Full Course Loads
- Credit Transfer Guidelines 2020-21
- Grade Conversion Grids 2020-21
- Study Abroad presentation November 2020
We recommend that you:
- Read all the available information
- Consult with your own department’s study abroad adviser as necessary
- Contact the study abroad team if you have any further queries. Email firstname.lastname@example.org