We welcome applications from PhD students who would like to work with Royal Holloway academics on areas of mutual interest. If you’d like to join us as a research student, here’s our step-by-step guide on how to apply.
If you’d like to join us as a research student, here’s our step-by-step guide on how to apply:
Step 1 - Are you eligible to apply?
- To become one of our research students, you need an invitation from a Royal Holloway academic.
- This academic must be willing to supervise you and must have agreed the length of your stay with the head of their department.
- If you don’t have an invitation, look at our departmental research pages to identify an appropriate person to approach eg an academic working in an area of mutual interest.
- Contact the relevant academic directly and ask them for an invitation.
Step 2 - Apply
- Once one of our academic departments has agreed to accept you as a PhD student, we’ll then send you an invite with a unique link to our application form for Guest Research students (this is NOT the same as our Postgraduate Research application form)
- Complete and submit this form. If you’ve got any queries, email us at email@example.com
- As soon as we’ve processed your application, you’ll then be able to access our student support services.
Step 3 - Check your fees
- The fee for visiting research students in 2017-18 is £340 a month.
- In some cases, academic departments will agree to waive these fees. If so, they’ll notify you directly.
- All other visiting research students will be billed accordingly.
Step 4 - Accommodation
- We don’t normally offer campus accommodation to visiting research students.
- However, our accommodation team will be happy to advise you on how to use our House Search portal to find local accommodation. Please contact them directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Need help filling in your online application? Not sure about something? Contact us at email@example.com. We’re here to help.