Skip to main content

Sponsored students

Sponsored students

Sponsored students are students in receipt of sponsorship from external sponsors such as your own government, a company or charity.

If you are a sponsored student, make sure you understand what documentation you need to provide before, and during, your time at Royal Holloway.

All new and continuing sponsored students must provide a Financial Guarantee Letter for each academic year that they are being sponsored. If your sponsorship is for multiple academic years, then please state this on your letter.

If you are a new student, please note that we must receive your Financial Guarantee Letter before we can issue you a CAS letter to apply for your Student Visa. If you require your unconditional offer letter to be sent to you as a PDF, contact

Guidance on what to include in your Financial Guarantee Letter, and who to send it to, can be found below.

All Financial Guarantee letters must be issued on letter headed paper, and sent via email to both and

Your Financial Guarantee letter must include the following:

Sponsorship details
  • Name of student
  • Royal Holloway Student Number (e.g.100123456) 
  • Academic year of sponsorship
  • Description and amount/percentage of sponsorship
  • Confirmation that payment will be made directly to Royal Holloway, University of London
Invoicing information
  • Sponsor name/Company name
  • Invoicing address including postcode
  • Contact name
  • Contact telephone number
  • Contact email address for electronic communication
  • Purchase Order Number or your Student Number

This letter should be received by the deposit deadline stated in the offer letter, where applicable.

If, at enrolment, the online information is showing the full fee is payable by you, you should still complete online sign up but it will not be possible for you to complete your enrolment fully until a formal sponsor's guarantee to make payment to Royal Holloway has been seen and recorded by us.

An invoice will be issued to your sponsor once you are fully enrolled.

If you require any further information, please contact the Student Fees Office.

At the end of the academic year and your studies, your sponsor may ask for a copy of your Royal Holloway transcripts and certificate. For current students, please visit our Documents and Forms for Current Students guide on the Student Intranet.

If you are a recent or former Royal Holloway student, please visit our proof of award webpages to see what documentation is available to you. 

Explore Royal Holloway

Get help paying for your studies at Royal Holloway through a range of scholarships and bursaries.

There are lots of exciting ways to get involved at Royal Holloway. Discover new interests and enjoy existing ones.

Heading to university is exciting. Finding the right place to live will get you off to a good start.

Whether you need support with your health or practical advice on budgeting or finding part-time work, we can help.

Discover more about our academic departments and schools.

Find out why Royal Holloway is in the top 25% of UK universities for research rated ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’.

Royal Holloway is a research intensive university and our academics collaborate across disciplines to achieve excellence.

Discover world-class research at Royal Holloway.

Discover more about who we are today, and our vision for the future.

Royal Holloway began as two pioneering colleges for the education of women in the 19th century, and their spirit lives on today.

We’ve played a role in thousands of careers, some of them particularly remarkable.

Find about our decision-making processes and the people who lead and manage Royal Holloway today.