The Barbara Raw Scholarship is named in honour of a former Royal Holloway student and rewards high-achieving students of English.
Five scholarships are available for new undergraduate students studying for a single or joint honours degree in the Department of English (see the full list of eligible courses below).
The scholarship is a £5,000 cash award (payable over three years) and is available to students with Home or International fee status.
Am I eligible?
You must have achieved, or be predicted to achieve, high grades in A-level or equivalent. As a guide, previous applicants have achieved, or been predicted, AAA or equivalent.
You must hold a conditional or unconditional offer to study one of our following degrees:
- BA English
- BA English and Drama
- BA English and Philosophy
- BA English and Latin
- BA English and History
- BA English with Philosophy
- BA Music and English
- BA English and Film Studies
- BA English and Classical Studies
- BA English and American Literature
- BA English and Creative Writing
- BA Modern Languages and English
- BA Comparative Literature and Culture and English
- BA American Literature and Creative Writing
- BA Drama and Creative Writing
How do I apply?
You must apply via our online system Royal Holloway Direct. The closing date for applications is 26 March 2021 (11.59pm UK time).
Please provide a supporting statement of no longer than 400 words, which should include:
- academic achievements you are particularly proud of and why these really matter to you
- why you have chosen to do the degree you have applied for
- what your future aspirations are and how the scholarship will help you to achieve your future goals
Your application will be scored based on your predicted/achieved grades and how effectively your statement answers the above.
Terms and conditions
You need to achieve an average academic grade of at least 60 per cent, each year, in order to keep receiving the scholarship.
You will only receive the scholarship if you achieve the minimum grades stated in your offer letter.
Read our full terms and conditions.