Cash award of £5,000 for undergraduates studying English.
Five scholarships are available for new undergraduate students studying for a single or joint honours degree in the Department of English (see the full list of eligible courses below).
The Barbara Raw Scholarship is named in honour of a former Royal Holloway student and rewards high-achieving students.
Am I eligible?
- Home or International fee status
- Offer to study one of the following degrees:
- BA English
- BA English and Drama
- BA English and Philosophy
- BA English and Latin
- BA English and History
- BA English with Philosophy
- BA Music and English
- BA English and Film Studies
- BA English and Classical Studies
- BA English and American Literature
- BA English and Creative Writing
- BA Modern Languages and English
- BA Comparative Literature and Culture and English
- BA American Literature and Creative Writing
- BA Drama and Creative Writing
- BA English and Digital Arts
- Achieved, or predicted to achieve high grades in A-level or equivalent. As a guide, previous applicants have achieved, or been predicted, AAA or equivalent.
How do I apply?
You must submit your application via RH Direct.
You will need to write a statement explaining why you think you should be awarded the scholarship. Read the guidelines below for information on what you must include in your application.
The deadline for applications is 28 April, 2023. We will let you know the outcome of your application from 18 May, 2023.
Please provide a supporting statement of no more than 400 words. You must include:
- academic achievements you are particularly proud of and why these really matter to you
- why you have chosen to do the degree you have applied for
- what your future aspirations are and how the scholarship will help you to achieve your future goals.
Your application will be scored based on your predicted/achieved grades and how effectively your statement answers the above.
Applications which exceed the word count will automatically be rejected.