All programmes are offered with an optional (paid) industrial placement (internship), which is an excellent opportunity to start a career in what are the fastest growing areas in the modern economy.
Although the responsibility for finding a placement is ultimately yours, our Careers Team will help you identify suitable opportunities, make applications and prepare for interviews. Please note that progression to the placement is conditional on good academic performance.
We bring several companies to our campus throughout the year, both for fairs and for advanced seminars, which is an excellent opportunity to learn about what they do and discuss possible placements.
Check this timeline, which details the different stages that students and companies go through.
These are examples of companies where our students have been placed, several of which have placed more than one student: Autilla, Axonix, BGL Group, Cartesian, Centrica, Choosic, Data Reply, D4t4 Solutions, Disney, Foward3D, Gamesys, HACT, IMS Health, I. S. Solutions, Jacobs, Jaguar Land Rover, Lindgreen Labs, Microlise, Neural Technologies, Office for National Statistics (ONS), QuintilesIMS, Rolls Royce, Shell, Société Générale, Standard Chartered, Statiq, Thomas Cook, Triometric, UBS, VMWare, World Remit, and the Z/Yen Group.
So far, the large majority of international students who have secured a placement in the Year-in-Industry have been sponsored to remain working in the UK. Check below the careers that some of them are folllowing.
Students who graduate with us go on to do exciting and important work. Here are some examples of the careers that you can expect:
- Raúl Ramírez Amilpas, Data Scientist, Globant
- Naeem Atta, Principal Information Architect, National Grid SO
- Daniel Bates, Data Scientist & Principal Developer, BNY Mellon
- Tania Bathia, Technology Analyst, J.P. Morgan
- Abderraouf Boulfoul, Software Developer, Capital One
- Philip Buckby, Junior Business Systems Analyst, Baring Asset Management
- Peter Capsalis, Data Scientist Consultant, Capgemini
- Pei-Chi Chen, SAP FI/CO consulting service provider, EY
- Luvieline Aeriel Constantino, Business Analyst – Data Sciences, VM Ware
- Arba Dreni, IT Risk Assurance Associate, PwC UK
- Gregory Edwards, Data Scientist, Decoded
- Varun S Gangoor, Senior Software Engineer, Grabyo
- Ana Gillan, Solutions Engineer, Hortonworks
- Michael Griffiths, Data scientist, Chi2 Analytics Ltd.
- Narmada Guruswamy, Data Analytics Manager, EY
- Thin Ha, Forensic Data Analytics Associate, EY
- Dandy Masyaril Handoko, Hadoop Developer / Data Analyst, British Gas
- Nikita Hiremath, Data Analyst, Jacobs
- Mrunalini Jagtap, Data Management Lead, Singapore Institute for Clinical Sciences
- Saichaitanya Jampani, Senior Database Adminstrator, Graphnile
- Laiq Jafri, Technology Analyst, JP Morgan Chase & Co
- Pragati Jain, Data Analyst, D4t4 Solutions Plc
- Sowmya Jayakumar, Global Tech Innovation and Big Data Analyst, QuintilesIMS
- Morgan Jury, Software Engineer, Preservica
- Rohan Kalia, Data Scientist, UBS
- Akshat Kaushik, Graduate Data Scientist, Arup
- Bikash Kharel, Software Developer, Z/Yen Group Ltd
- Christina Knudsen, Data Scientist, HACT Housing
- Vincent Lauwen, Data Scientist, Cognizant
- Ngan Le, Technical Research Analyst, Cartesian
- Umesh Menon, Lead Data Scientist, Happiest Minds Technologies
- Prabhavathi M, Data Analyst, Decision Architects
- Samir Malik, Data Scientist, Rolls Royce
- Celeste McCracken, Data Scientist, Monmouth Partners Ltd
- Aishwarya Murthy, Data Scientist, BandDjinni
- Kaxil Naik, Big Data Consultant, Data Reply UK
- Pranali Naik, Data Scientist, Shaw Academy
- Vithya Nanthakumaar, Data Engineer, CrowdVision
- Adrian Ng, Data & Insights Analyst, City Football Group
- Mai Nguyen, Senior QA, KMS Technology Inc
- Tat-Than Nguyen, Lecturer in Accounting Analytics, Portsmouth University
- Kieran O'Sullivan, Data Scientist, giffgaff
- Jorge Oscanoa, Research Assistant, LSE
- Simona Pappalardo, Head of Mobile and Machine Learning Engineer, Peanut App
- Prashant Patel, Program Manager, NGA Human Resources
- Akshat Pathak, Data Scientist, Gamesys
- Niranjan Patil, Junior Data Scientist, CGI
- Will Pratt, Data Scientist, StepStone
- Joshua Rebeiro, Data Scientist, EY
- Prasen Reddy, Analytical Lead Data Scientist, AMP Credit Technologies
- Alexandre Richardson, Senior Data Scientist, Peak Labs
- Thorey Runarsdottir, Data Scientist, Tempo for JIRA
- Shatadru Saha, Insight Analyst, BGL Group
- Sureya Sathiamoorthi, Senior Big Data Engineer, WorldRemit
- Satyasheel, Data Scientist, Data Reply UK
- Justin Sebok, Product Manager – Performance Marketing, Deliveroo
- Muhsin Sehgal, Operations Analyst, CEB
- Altin Shala, Data Science Test Engineer, babylon health
- Ankit Kamat Shankhwalker, Data Scientist, SG Analytics
- Manish Shegokar, Quantitative Analyst, Lindgren Laboratories Limited
- Anum Sheraz, Software Engineer, Origami Energy
- Kyungmin Shim, Data/AI Consultant, Metanet Global
- Nithin Soman, Technical Research Analyst, Cartesian
- Alessandra Sozzi, Data Scientist, the Office for National Statistics
- Avinash Srivastava, Data Scientist, Advizzo
- Vivek Subburaju, Head of Data Science Initiatives, Heptagon Technologies
- Shreyak Tiwari, Machine Learning Engineer, AMPP Group
- Gnanavelan Vaithiyalingam, Data Scientist, UBS
- Alasdair Vincent, Principal Data Scientist, Dstl
- Chi Wang, Financial Product Analyst, Omni Prime
- Nanli Wang, Data Scientist, InMobi
- Asher Wesley, Associate Director, Data Scientist, UBS
- Andy White, Client Data Scientist, FXCintel
- Timothy Wong, Senior Data Scientist, Centrica
- Di Wu, Data Analyst, Rolls-Royce
- Yaru Yi, Data Science Analyst, Axonix
- Ricky Yip, Data Science Engineer, Virtual Clarity
- Subha Yoganandan, Senior Insight Analyst, Penguin Random House UK
- Lanying Yu, Senior Risk Associate, State Street
Avinash joined us with a Bachelor of Technology in Computer Science, Amity University Noida, 2010-14, First Class with Distinction.
He did our MSc in Data Science and Analytics with a Year in Industry during 2014-16 with a GREAT scholarhip.
He did his internship at Centrica (British Gas) as a Big Data Analyst (Hadoop) in 2015-16.
Currently, Avinash is Lead Data Scientist at So Energy, London.
“The Masters in Data Science and Analytics is a perfect blend of theorical and practical modules. The curriculum includes interesting and relevant topics such as Online Machine Learning, Data Analysis and Data Visualization.
My role at British Gas was primarily focused on analysing data and coordinating stakeholders in order to deliver a piece of work around the newly implemented Hadoop “Big Data Lake”, with a view to maximising the benefits that could be achieved by the Data Strategy Programme and improving its business case.
The internship was a professionally and personally enriching experience for me. It gave me ample opportunity to apply what I had learned in the course to real-life problems. It also allowed me to acquire a good understanding of how a typical analytical project life cycle works and of the various challenges that one faces during the data acquisition, cleaning and preparation phase such as dealing with data from different sources and in heterogeneous formats.
I am now working for So Energy, London, where I’m responsible for heading their data science initiative and providing a clear direction on best practice in developing and implementing Big Data solutions.”
Prasen joined us with a Bachelor of Commerce, St. Xavier's College (Mumbai), 2006-09.
He did our MSc in Machine Learning with a Year in Industry during 2013-15 and received an Outstanding Dissertation Award.
He did his internship at Centrica (British Gas) and AMP Credit Technologies as a Junior Data Scientist in 2014-15.
Currently, Prasen is Analytical Lead at AMP Credit Technologies, London.
“The most remarkable thing about the course is the opportunity to choose from a diverse set of modules. The course is well balanced theoretically and practically, which helped me not only understand the latest research in machine learning but also to implement solutions using programming languages.
During my internship at Centrica, I worked on the £54m Customer-Led Network Revolution (CLNR) project – the largest energy project of its type in the UK where I identified patterns within energy usage. I also investigated the failure of smart-meter installations where I designed a proof of concept for several machine learning algorithms. In the process, I built several reusable visualization tools, statistical analytics tools, and predictive models in several programming languages.
At AMP Credit Technologies, my work was aimed at engineering a cutting-edge credit-scoring engine. This included automating text recognition and classification of bank transaction statements; predicting the probability of loan applicant’s to default in paying back the loan; and scrapping and integrating external data APIs online.
Following my internship, I received a job offer from AMP Credit Technologies to work as their Analytical lead. We are working to further improve our predictive models in other small economies by collaboration with local governments, Experian, Credit Regulation Authorities and others who share statistical data.”
Sowmya joined us with a Bachelor of Technology in Computer Science and Engineering , Kumaraguru College of Technology (affiliated to Anna University), 2008-12, First Class with Distinction.
She did our MSc in Data Science and Analytics with a Year in Industry during 2013-15.
Se did her internship at IMS Health (now QuintilesIMS), London, as a Junior Analyst in 2014-15.
Currently, Sowmya is Global Tech Innovation and Big Data Analyst at QuintilesIMS, India.
“The course has given me immense knowledge and helped me identify my area of interest in Big Data.
The internship at IMS Health (London) was very helpful for gaining the practical/industrial knowledge and experience. I was responsible for creating technology-innovative proof of concepts related to predictive analytics to demonstrate how new Big Data solutions could be incorporated in IMS Health offerings. In addition, I created a data-visualization proof of concept, the first of its kind at IMS Health, using CartoDB, which received a huge positive response among the clients.
After my graduation, I took a six-month maternity break and then started working for IMS Health full-time. In May 2016, I became Currently Global Tech Innovation and Big Data Analyst at QuintilesIMS (as IMS Health is now named) in Bengaluru, where I’m responsible for leading and developing predictive-analytics projects.”
Subha joined us with a Bachelor of Engineering in Electronics and Communication, Anna University, 2006-10, First Class with Distinction.
She did our MSc in Data Science and Analytics with a Year in Industry during 2013-15 with a GREAT scholarhip.
She did her internship at at HACT Housing, London, as a Data Scientist in 2014-15.
Currently, Subha is Senior Insight Analyst at Close Brothers Retail Finance, London.
“The course provided me foundational aspects of data analysis skills and their application to solve real-world problems
I did my internship at HACT Housing in London, where I was mainly involved in their Big Data project to generate useful insights for the housing sector based on several areas of interest. I developed machine-learning algorithms (using the R programming language) to predict which tenants are most likely to fall into arrears in the next quarter, and I used time-series analysis (including time-series decomposition and forecast) to spot arrear cycles among tenants and erratic payers. I also built an Extract Transform Load framework using R and the KNIME open-source platform for data cleansing / wrangling.
I am now a Senior Insight Analyst at Close Brothers Retail Finance in London, reporting directly to the Chief Analytics Officer. I am involved in implementing changes using data to achieve strategic objectives and drive business growth, particularly in using advanced analytics and rich visualization techniques to produce useful business insights."