We use cookies on this site. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Close this message Find out more

Home > Sustainability > Recycling
More in this section Sustainability


The College is working hard to reduce all of its environmental impacts and is constantly striving to reduce the amount of waste generated and sent to landfill. In order to tackle this we have implemented a robust recycling system in our halls of residence and are in the process of rolling this out across the academic estate.

We also have a number of ways for you to dispose of your waste, click on the link below to dispose of the different types of waste:

Electrical Waste (to request your bin to be emptied or for larger items)

Confidential Waste (this also includes CD's) 

Office Furniture 

Batteries (if your battery tower needs to be emptied)

Academic areas (if you require a bin to be emptied)

Residential areas (if you require a bin to be emptied)

We have a number of facilities across the campus for every waste stream. This page will tell you what you can recycle and where you can do it. There is also important information about how to deal with hazardous and electrical waste which have stringent legal requirements.

On campus we have facilities for recycling most materials.  Here is where you need to go.

You can recycle:   

  • paper
  • cardboard
  • plastic
  • glass
  • tins and cans
Recycling around campus:
  • Mixed recycling (paper, cardboard, plastic, tins and cans) goes in the bin with an orange lid
  • Glass goes in the bin with a brown lid.
  • All other waste goes in the bin with a grey lid.

Recycling in academic areas:

Look out for the white bins with coloured stickers in your academic area. These are clearly marked by posters and you can download this postcard or this poster to remind you where to put your recycling.

  • Mixed recycling (paper, cardboard, plastic, tins and cans) goes in the bin with an orange label
  • Glass  goes in the bin with a brown label
  • All other waste goes in the bin with a grey label

If you live in halls:

If you need any further information, contact the Sustainability Team or click here if you want to know more about, waste collections, how your waste is sorted or how cans, cartons, electrical equipment , paper, glass or plastic bottles are recycled.

The way you can recycle at home depends on where you live. Runnymeade Borough Council rolled out a new recycling service to all residents from August 2012. The Runnymede Borough Council website lists full information of everythng you need to know. 

Surrey County Council have full listings of how you can recyle in Surrey.

Your local Borough or District Council will have full details on how you can recycle where you live.

Hazardous waste, by definition, must be kept separate from general waste bins. The College has a procedure for safe and legal dispoasl of hazardous waste.

Hazardous waste includes but is not limited to:

  • chemicals (including garden chemicals and pesticides);
  • clinical waste;
  • non-edible oil and fats (including oil filters and oily rags);
  • fluorescent tubes (including energy saving light bulbs);
  • gas cylinders;
  • bleach and some strong cleaning products;Battery tube1
  • paint, solvents and varnishes;
  • Ni-Cad, Lead and Mercury containing batteries;
  • electrical equipment that contains hazardous components (e.g. cathode ray tubes in televisions, monitors and electronic display screens);
  • asbestos

Batteries must be kept separate from the general waste bins. There are battery recycling tubes placed around the College fo you to recycle your batteries.  If you need your tube emptied contact us.

Electrical items cannot be placed into the general bins on campus. To be legally compliant with the WEEE waste regulations the College collects these items separately and sends them for recycling.

WEEE stands for Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment. It covers anything with a plug, battery or circuit board. The WEEE Directive came into force on 1 July 2007 and means that none of these items can be thrown away in bins or skips – they must be collected separately and recycled, for more information click here. The College will collect and dispose of WEEE for you.

 Examples of WEEE waste include:

  • Toasters and kettles
  • Irons
  • Clocks and watches
  • Radios
  • Hair dryers, electric toothbrushes, shavers, straightening irons
  • Calculators
  • Telephones, answer machines, fax machines
  • Digital cameras
  • Smoke detectors
  • Thermostats
  • Memory sticks
  • Mobile phones and chargers (if not being donated to charity)
  • Small transformers
  • Cables, wires and headphones

Follow us


Comment on this page

Did you find the information you were looking for? Is there a broken link or content that needs updating? Let us know so we can improve the page.

Note: If you need further information or have a question that cannot be satisfied by this page, please call our switchboard on +44 (0)1784 434455.

This window will close when you submit your comment.

Add Your Feedback