Skip to main content


Erasmus+ is the European Commission’s flagship university exchange programme and aims to increase student mobility within Europe.

You can spend a year at one of our partner universities in Europe and earn academic credit to transfer back to Royal Holloway.

Erasmus+ funding

Currently, the UK’s future participation in Erasmus+ is uncertain, due to continuing Brexit negotiations. In the short term, the Government’s Withdrawal Agreement ensures that the College can apply for Erasmus+ funding as normal for the whole of the 2020/21 academic year. This means that current second years preparing to study abroad during 2020/21 will have continued access to funding regardless of the Brexit outcome in December 2020.

To provide reassurance beyond 2020/21, Royal Holloway has made the decision that in the event of a no-deal Brexit, or a Brexit deal that does not cover Erasmus+, we will commit to providing students with a subsidy equivalent to current Erasmus+ funding for all students taking a year abroad in Europe as either a mandatory or optional element of their degree course (where this would have previously been funded by the Erasmus+ scheme). This commitment will apply to applicants for 2020 entry studying abroad in 2022/23, as well as our current first years going abroad in 2021/22.

This commitment also means there will be no change to financial support for students who are currently overseas on an Erasmus+ placement or are considering applying to participate in the Erasmus+ scheme during their degree.

Who is eligible for Erasmus+?

(The information below reflects the author's view, and neither the British Council nor the European Commission are responsible for any use that may be made of it.)

You can only do an Erasmus+ exchange if your department has an agreement with one of our Erasmus+ partner universities. Find out with which universities your department has an agreement.

Studying abroad may be a degree requirement. If you’re studying a Single Honours, Major or Joint degree in French, German, Italian, Hispanic Studies or European Studies, you will normally spend a year abroad as an integral part of your four-year degree.

You can spend this year:

  • in employment
  • as a language assistant at a school
  • at a university or business school

If you’re studying two languages, you will usually split your year abroad between two countries.

For further information, contact the School of Modern Languages, Literature and Cultures.

You’ll also spend time abroad if you’re studying BA History with an International Year. For more information, please contact the History Department.

Staff Mobility

Opportunities are available under the Erasmus+ scheme for staff to teach at Erasmus+ partner universities with which the relevant academic department has a current agreement that covers teaching.  Under the scheme, Royal Holloway staff can go for a minimum of 2 days and a maximum of a week and priority is given to those who have not taken part in Erasmus+ before. For further information regarding Erasmus+ staff mobility, please see here.

For information about applying for Erasmus+ staff mobility, please contact Norlene Conway, Senior Teaching Fellow, CeDAS in the first instance.

Find out more

Got a query? Contact

Explore Royal Holloway

Get help paying for your studies at Royal Holloway through a range of scholarships and bursaries.

There are lots of exciting ways to get involved at Royal Holloway. Discover new interests and enjoy existing ones

Heading to university is exciting. Finding the right place to live will get you off to a good start

Whether you need support with your health or practical advice on budgeting or finding part-time work, we can help

Discover more about our 21 departments and schools

Find out why Royal Holloway is in the top 25% of UK universities for research rated ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’

They say the two most important days of your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why

Discover world-class research at Royal Holloway

Discover more about who we are today, and our vision for the future

Royal Holloway began as two pioneering colleges for the education of women in the 19th century, and their spirit lives on today

We’ve played a role in thousands of careers, some of them particularly remarkable

Find about our decision-making processes and the people who lead and manage Royal Holloway today