We recognise that many students have personal circumstances or meet Widening Access criteria that means they could benefit from some additional financial support.
Below you will find some of the Widening Access focused financial awards that Royal Holloway offer.
We have pointed out which ones you will receive automatic consideration for upon registering as a student with us, and those awards that you have to apply for.Full list of bursaries & scholarships available
Mature Learner & Access to HE Diploma award
£1,000 for each year that you study with us
You must be a UK student aged 21 or over when starting your first year of study, with a household income of £25,000 a year or less, as verified by the Student Loans Company.
You must also have achieved a QAA-recognised Access to HE Diploma and have an unconditional offer from Royal Holloway.
For full details click here
Household income lower than £30,000 a year
£1,500 each year you study with us for household incomes less than £25,000/year
£500 each year you study with us for household incomes between £25,000 - £30,000/year
You must be a UK student studying an undergraduate degree and have your household income verified by the Student Loans Company.
If you already have or are on track to get AAA or equivalent grades and your household income is less than £25,000 you might also qualify for the Elaine Etherton Scholarship
If you are a mature learner (older than 21) with a household income of less than £25,000 a year you may also be eligible for the Access Mature Student Bursary
For full details click below:
Care Leavers and Estranged students
Automatic consideration, please contact for more information
£3000 every year that you study with us
You must be aged between 18 - 25 and be assessed as a care leaver (a person who has been looked after by a local authority for at least 13 weeks since the age of 14, and who was in care on their 16th birthday)
Have independent other status on Student Finance forms
If you think you are eligible for this bursary we would really like to hear from you, please contact us via email@example.com or 01784 414240
For full information here
Sanctuary Scholarship for asylum seekers
Pay no tuition fees for 3 years plus receive a £12,000 scholarship each year that you study with us
To be considered for the Sanctuary Scholarship, you must:
- Be an asylum seeker, the child of an asylum seeker or hold Discretionary Leave to Remain
- Be ineligible to obtain funding from the Student Loan Company (tuition fee loans or maintenance loans)
- Have a right to study in the UK
- Hold an offer to study an undergraduate course at Royal Holloway
- Submit a completed scholarship application form by the deadline
For full details and how to apply please click here
Black students studying English and related subjects
Up to £6000 cash award (across 3 years) for UK students with Home fee status.
- Already have or be on track to get AAA or equivalent grades
- Identify as one of the following ethnicity categories
- Black African; Black Caribbean; Black Other; Mixed – White and Black Caribbean; Mixed – White and Black African; or Other mixed background (to include Black African, Black Caribbean or Black Other)
- Hold an offer to study English or a related subject with us