This programme is currently under development and may be subject to change
This course is ideal for those seeking a broad based advanced grounding in contemporary political theory.
- You will develop a systematic understanding and knowledge of theories, institutions and practices in the disciplines of politics and international relations and in sub disciplines relating to contemporary political theory.
- You will develop a sound knowledge of the texts, theories and methods used to enhance understanding of the issues, processes and phenomena associated to contemporary political theory.
- You will gain a critical understanding of research methods, equipping you with the skills necessary to obtain qualitative and quantitative data for your dissertation.
Core ModulesYear 1
This module will teach you the methods that you are likely to use in your MSc dissertation whilst giving you hands-on research experience.
You will be able to choose two of the following core modules:
- Political Concepts
- Contemporary Anglo-American Political Theory
- Contemporary Continental Political Theory
All modules are core
Teaching & assessment
This course is taught in small groups – meaning that you will get close personal attention from tutors, and become part of a close-knit and lively community.
Teaching and learning is delivered primarily by means of seminar discussions, informal lectures, oral presentations, guided independent research, and guided independent study. Assessment takes the form of various formative and summative assignments.
Your final assignment is a dissertation on a topic developed in consultation with an assigned supervisor.
International & EU requirements
English language requirements
All teaching at Royal Holloway is in English. You will therefore need to have good enough written and spoken English to cope with your studies right from the start.
The scores we require
- IELTS: 6.5 overall. Writing 7.0. No other subscore lower than 5.5.
- Pearson Test of English: 61 overall. Writing 69. No other subscore lower than 51.
- Trinity College London Integrated Skills in English (ISE): ISE III.
- Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) grade C.
For more information about country-specific entry requirements for your country please see here.
Your future career
Fees & funding
Home and EU students tuition fee per year*: £9,600
International students tuition fee per year**: £17,200
Other essential costs***: To follow