Skip to main content

Working during your studies

Working during your studies

If you hold a Tier 4/Student visa for degree level study, you are usually entitled to work during your UK stay. However, there will be restrictions and it’s important you comply with them. If you don’t, you’ll be committing an offence.

Students from within the European Economic Area (EEA)

You can work without immigration restrictions, but see our recommendations on term-time working. Please note that if you join us after 1 January 2021 and have a Student visa, you are limited to 20 hours/week working.

Students on a Visitor/Short-term student visa

You cannot work in the UK, either in paid or unpaid work.

Students with a Tier 4/Student visa

If you hold a Tier 4/Student visa, your Biometric Residence Permit card should say whether you have permission to work. It will normally show something like:

  • Work limited 20 hrs p/w term time or
  • Work 20 hrs max in term-time or
  • Work limit as in PBS rules 20hrs p/w.

If you’re not allowed to work, it will say:

  • 'No work' or
  • 'Employment prohibited'.

Please make sure you check your visa carefully for the working conditions. You must abide by what is printed on your BRP, even if you have reason to believe it is incorrect. If you think there has been a mistake, please contact the International Student Support Office at the earliest opportunity as there are deadlines to fix Home Office errors.

You must not:

  • engage in business, be self-employed or work as a professional sportsperson or entertainer (be careful of jobs in the 'gig economy' including Uber & Deliveroo - as a Tier 4/Student visa holder you cannot work in this environment
  • pursue a career by filling a permanent full-time vacancy

For further assistance, take a look at UKCISA’s blog, or contact the International Student Support Office).

Undergraduate students

You can:

  • work a maximum of 20 hours a week during term time
  • work any number of hours during vacation periods
  • work full-time in the 4 months after you have completed your degree, up until the end of your Tier 4/Student visa

You can find details of term dates here.

Postgraduate taught students

You can:

  • work a maximum of 20 hours a week during term time
  • work any number of hours during your Christmas and Easter holidays
  • work full-time in the 4 months after you have completed your degree, up until the end of your Tier 4/Student visa

You cannot:

  • work full-time during the summer - this is because you are still classed as studying full-time until after your course end date as outlined on your CAS

Postgraduate research students

As a research student, you don’t have defined holiday periods. Therefore you can:

  • work 20 hours per week throughout the year
  • work any hours during holiday periods that have been approved and authorised by your supervisor. You must have proof of this authorisation.

If you want to work in the UK, you will need to apply for a National Insurance (NI) number. This will be used to record the National Insurance contributions and tax payments that are deducted from your wages.

To apply for a National Insurance number:

  • Call 08001412075. You’ll be asked to give your:
    • full UK address and postcode
    • personal details (name, date of birth)
    • employer’s name and address if you have one
    • occupation
    • date of entry to the UK
    • eligibility to work in the UK (e.g. student visa, student dependant visa, EU citizen)
  • This phone call will last up to 20 mins. If the operator considers that you are eligible, they will book you a National Insurance number appointment at a local office (usually within 18 working days)
  • If your appointment is successful, you will then receive your National Insurance number several weeks later. The whole process generally takes about six weeks.

If your work placement is part of your programme of study covered by your Tier 4/Student visa (e.g. BSc Management with Accounting with a Year in Business), then the work placement can be full-time.

Certain volunteering positions count as work and some don’t. You need to be aware of the difference as otherwise, you could be breaching your visa conditions. Visitor visa holders can volunteer - but they can’t do voluntary work (unpaid employment).

Voluntary work (unpaid employment)

If you’re doing voluntary work:

  • the hours you work will count towards the maximum hours you’re allowed to work each week
  • you will often have a contract with your employer/organisation (the employer must provide work and you must attend at particular times/carry out specific tasks; this is normally the quickest and easiest way to distinguish between volunteering and voluntary work
  • you will usually be remunerated in kind (paid in goods or services rather than money).

If you are volunteering, you:

  • won’t have a contract of employment
  • must not take the place of an employee
  • must not receive payment in kind except reimbursement for reasonable travel/meals/accommodation for example
  • will usually be helping a charity, voluntary or public sector organisation.

Always check with an organisation to find out whether the work you’re doing could be regarded as ‘unpaid employment’.

Breaching your visa conditions is a serious offence and can lead to deportation from the UK

The university is required by law to report to the Home Office any breaches of visa conditions it is aware of, so please contact ISSO if you’re unsure of a job opportunity or of any requirements an employer has put on you

You must not depend on income from working to support yourself during your studies

You are not allowed to apply for UK welfare benefits or public funds

If your employer is not sure about restrictions for international students, we suggest they look at this Government guidance.

See  this information sheet from the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA).

Explore Royal Holloway

Get help paying for your studies at Royal Holloway through a range of scholarships and bursaries.

There are lots of exciting ways to get involved at Royal Holloway. Discover new interests and enjoy existing ones

Heading to university is exciting. Finding the right place to live will get you off to a good start

Whether you need support with your health or practical advice on budgeting or finding part-time work, we can help

Discover more about our 21 departments and schools

Find out why Royal Holloway is in the top 25% of UK universities for research rated ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’

They say the two most important days of your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why

Discover world-class research at Royal Holloway

Discover more about who we are today, and our vision for the future

Royal Holloway began as two pioneering colleges for the education of women in the 19th century, and their spirit lives on today

We’ve played a role in thousands of careers, some of them particularly remarkable

Find about our decision-making processes and the people who lead and manage Royal Holloway today