Skip to main content

Police registration

Police registration

You may have to register with the police as a condition of your visa. The requirement to register will usually be on your visa or Biometric Residence Permit (BRP).

Your BRP will generally say that you must "register with the police within seven days". In some cases, for example, if you have applied for a visa extension within the UK, it may say this in an accompanying letter.

You must also keep your Police Registration Certificate up to date by letting the police know of any relevant changes such as:

  • New/extended visa
  • New BRP card
  • Change of programme of study
  • Change of place of study
  • Change of address
  • Change of name
  • New passport
  • Getting married or divorced

Police registration is usually required for students from the following countries:

  • Afghanistan
  • Algeria
  • Argentina
  • Armenia
  • Azerbaijan
  • Bahrain
  • Belarus
  • Bolivia
  • Brazil
  • China
  • Colombia
  • Cuba
  • Egypt
  • Georgia
  • Iran
  • Iraq
  • Israel
  • Jordan
  • Kazakhstan
  • Kirgizstan
  • Kuwait
  • Lebanon
  • Libya
  • Moldova
  • Morocco
  • North Korea
  • Oman
  • Palestine
  • Peru
  • Qatar
  • Russia
  • Saudi Arabia
  • Sudan
  • Syria
  • Tajikistan
  • Tunisia
  • Turkey
  • Turkmenistan
  • United Arab Emirates
  • Ukraine
  • Uzbekistan
  • Yemen

Police registration dates for new students:

23 November 2021 (fully booked) and 1 December 2021

If it is your first time registering with the police and you live on campus or in Surrey you can make an appointment by emailing

Please note that if there are low numbers we may have to cancel police registration at short notice but we will let you know if this happens.

Print and fill out this form and bring the following to your appointment:

  • Valid passport and BRP card
  • Two passport-sized photographs of yourself (these can be obtained in Egham town centre e.g. Tesco)
  • College card
  • A fee of £34 cash or proof of payment
  • Proof of your UK address - your accommodation contract, a bill or bank statement
  • Photocopy of both sides of your BRP card, photocopy of the UK visa and the information (photo) page in your passport

If you live in London you will need to register at the Overseas Visitors Records Office.

If you need to update your police registration certificate please go to Staines Police Station. Please do not go in large groups.

Explore Royal Holloway

Get help paying for your studies at Royal Holloway through a range of scholarships and bursaries.

There are lots of exciting ways to get involved at Royal Holloway. Discover new interests and enjoy existing ones

Heading to university is exciting. Finding the right place to live will get you off to a good start

Whether you need support with your health or practical advice on budgeting or finding part-time work, we can help

Discover more about our 21 departments and schools

Find out why Royal Holloway is in the top 25% of UK universities for research rated ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’

They say the two most important days of your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why

Discover world-class research at Royal Holloway

Discover more about who we are today, and our vision for the future

Royal Holloway began as two pioneering colleges for the education of women in the 19th century, and their spirit lives on today

We’ve played a role in thousands of careers, some of them particularly remarkable

Find about our decision-making processes and the people who lead and manage Royal Holloway today