Skip to main content


What happens if you fall ill while you’re studying at Royal Holloway? Here you can find out if you’re eligible for free UK healthcare.

EEA nationals

  • If you are a national from a European Economic Area (EEA) country, you and your family will qualify for most treatment under the National Health Service (NHS) - the UK’s publicly-funded national healthcare system.
  • Make sure you obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) before coming to the UK. This must be issued by your home country. A UK EHIC card is not valid within the UK. Apply for a European Health Insurance card.
  • An EHIC will allow you to access NHS services in much the same way as an ordinary resident. The costs will then be reclaimed from your home country.
  • There are exceptions for non-urgent elective or expensive discretionary treatments. You’ll need to pay for these in advance. You may also need to pay for dental/optical treatment and pharmacy medicines prescribed by the doctor.  
  • If you're not entitled to an EHIC, you should obtain separate medical insurance. See this information from the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) on the requirement for comprehensive sickness insurance.

Non-EEA students

  • If you are a national from a non-EEA (European Economic Area) country and studying in the UK for more than six months, you will have to pay the immigration health surcharge (IHS). This will be included in your visa costs.
  • The immigration health surcharge will entitle you to access certain free necessary healthcare under the National Health Service (NHS). For further information please visit the NHS Visitors from outside the EEA webpage.   
  • However, you will have to pay yourself in advance for non-urgent elective or expensive discretionary treatments.
  • Your dependants will also have to pay the IHS.

Short term students

If you're in the UK as a short-term student or for any periods when you are not a full-time student, you should take out private medical insurance. 

Registering with a doctor

Wherever you are from, you should register with our Health Centre on campus or another GP as soon as possible after arriving in the UK.

Helping you maintain good health

We take your well-being seriously and have a range of services to support your physical and mental health while you’re studying at Royal Holloway. Find out more.

Student Services Centre

Our Student Services Centre can help with non-academic related enquiries eg college cards, enrolment and graduation.

Explore Royal Holloway