Skip to main content

Arriving in the UK

Search Royal Holloway

Arriving in the UK

Arriving in a new country for the first time can be daunting but with the right preparations, you can maximise your chances of going through immigration control smoothly.

Immigration control

All passengers arriving at a UK port of entry have to go through immigration control.

  • If you’re from a non-European Economic Area (EEA) country, fill out a landing card on your flight and hand this to the immigration officer
  • You may need to show the immigration officer additional evidence, so make sure you have the following documents in your hand luggage:

    • Your passport and visa (if this is contained within your passport)
    • Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) if you already have one
    • A print-out of your CAS (Confirmation for Acceptance of Studies) email
    • Evidence that you have enough money to support yourself e.g. bank statements, sponsor letter
    • Evidence of accommodation, if available
    • Evidence of TB Certificate if your visa requires this
    • Police Registration Certificate, if you have one from previous study in the UK
    • Any documents used to support your visa application as mentioned in your CAS, i.e., original degree certificate/transcripts or ATAS certificate.

See these top tips from UK Border Force on how to make your journey through immigration as smooth as possible.

What to do if you are refused entry to the UK

In the unlikely event that immigration control will not allow you into the UK, contact:

  • The International Student Support Office on +44 (0) 1784 27 6168 or +44 (0) 1784 443 663. This number is staffed Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.
  • If you cannot reach anyone on this number, call:

    • Our switchboard (during working hours) on  +44 (0) 1784 434 455
    • Security (outside working hours) on +44 (0) 1784 443 063. Ask to speak to a Duty Warden)

Student Services Centre

Our Student Services Centre can help with non-academic related enquiries eg college cards, enrolment and graduation.

Explore Royal Holloway