One scholarship is available for a new full-time or part-time student with Home or International fee status studying for a first Masters degree within one of the academic departments listed below.
The scholarship is funded by the alumni and friends of Bedford College, one of the founding colleges of Royal Holloway and Bedford New College. Formed in 2013, the Bedford Society aims to ensure the spirit of Bedford College lives on by providing new scholars with access to financial support and opportunities for networking.
Scholarships are offered as a tuition fee reduction of £8,100.
Am I eligible?
You must have achieved, or be on target to achieve, a First Class Honours degree or equivalent and be able to demonstrate that without the financial support of the scholarship, you would not be able to undertake further study.
You must have a conditional or unconditional offer to study a Masters course within:
- Department of Classics
- Department of English
- Department of History
- Department of Languages, Literatures and Cultures
- Department of Economics
- Department of Law and Criminology
- Department of Politics, International Relations and Philosophy
- Department of Social Work
- Department of Biological Sciences
- Department of Earth Sciences
- Department of Geography
- Department of Psychology
How do I apply?
You must apply via our online system Royal Holloway Direct, where you will be able to complete your statement and upload any required documents including your grades transcript.
The deadline for applications is 1 July 2021.
You must provide a supporting statement of no more than 400 words, which should include:
- Academic achievements you are particularly proud of and why these really matter to you.
- Why you have chosen to do the degree you have applied for.
- What your future aspirations are and how the scholarship will help you to achieve your future goals.
- From a financial standpoint, what impact this scholarship would have on your education and special personal or family circumstances affecting your need for financial assistance.
- It should also demonstrate an enthusiastic and authentic spirit of enquiry and indicate clearly how this scholarship would help you share and advance knowledge of future generations.
Your statement will be judged on how effectively and convincingly you respond to the above.
As well as your statement, you will need to upload your most recent grades transcript from your undergraduate degree.
Terms and conditions
Only students applying to study for their first Masters degree will be considered for this scholarship.
Where an award is made to applicants on a two-year Masters course, no additional payment or tuition fee remission is offered in the second year of a two-year Masters degree.
For Home fee students, where the scholarship provides a full tuition fee reduction, students will not be eligible for any other tuition fee discount, for example the alumni discount. This also applies to International fee students in receipt of the EU fee reduction scholarship.
For International fee students, or Home students whose course fees exceed £8,100, other discounts such as the alumni discount will apply, with the discount applied after the scholarship.
Applicants shortlisted for the scholarship may be invited for interview.
Read our full terms and conditions.