Below are some of our top tips on how to get the most out of Clearing.
- Do your research before results day and make sure that you have a good back up plan if you don't do quite as well as you expect.
- Talk with your school or college careers advisers about the different courses that can still help you along the same career path.
- Consider the fact that entry requirements for courses with vacancies during Clearing can be more flexible so it's worth phoning up the university to find out more.
- Make yourself stand out in the phone call, introduce yourself instead of just being a student number.
Personally phone the universities and get in touch with the course leader/admissions tutor.
- Keep calm and take your time before you make any decisions. List all similar courses at all other universities of interest so that you have a few options.
Consider your options
Decide what the most important thing is for you. This could be the location, the course, or the university itself.
Have your details at hand
By this we mean make sure all your facts about the course, your results and main details are written down in front of you. It makes it easier if you might get nervous or are suddenly asked a question regarding them.
If the first few universities you call don’t work out, stay positive and keep calling. If your first choice says no, give them another call later in the day as entry requirements can change during Clearing and you may get offered a place. Also remember that phone lines may be busy – be patient, eventually you will get through.
Ask about Accommodation
Most universities have lots of information on their websites about accommodation, so you can work out if it fits your budget. If you do get offered a place remember to ask how to apply for accommodation if this is needed.
Visit the campus
Make sure to visit the campus if you have time. If not, do lots of research so you can get a feel for the university.
What’s it like to apply through Clearing?
We try hard to make the Clearing process as easy as possible for you. Here is some feedback from some of our students who have applied to us during Clearing.
"This university was the best institution for me. I chose this university over a Russell Group university because of just how friendly and caring the staff were towards me. I would recommend both the university and clearing process to anyone in the future."
"The staff themselves on the clearing hotline were incredibly helpful and understanding, and they absolutely must be commended."
"Clearing was not as stressful as I thought it would be. Everyone was really kind and helpful other the phone and it made the whole process less daunting."