We use cookies on this site. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Close this message Find out more

Home > Study here > Undergraduate > Mature students > Support for mature students
More in this section Mature students

Support for mature students

maturestudentsupportAs students of Royal Holloway, you’ll have access to all the support mechanisms in the College that are available to non-mature students. 

You’ll also have access to a range of special support and assistance measures specifically aimed at mature student needs. We offer:

  • Ways to develop your  ‘study skills’, such as skills in reading, listening, taking notes and writing,  which are an essential part of undergraduate study. We provide support by offering you online study resources and academic help throughout your time with us.
  • A mature student orientation session. This is offered at the start of the academic year, giving you the opportunity to learn about the support services we offer, receive study advice from academic staff and meet and talk with other mature students. All students over the age of 21 are welcome.
  • There is also the postgraduate and mature students’ society which acts as a social group by organising events and providing representation for mature students in the wider college environment. 

Personal matters

Most of you will have a well-developed other life, meaning you’ll have to balance your studies with work and family life.

Studying as a mature student is as much about using time effectively as finding time away from everything else. Find out what works for you and for those close to you because a work-style 9-5 pattern doesn't suit everyone.

Although there are no simple rules:

  • at home think about what you can defer until a holiday, what you can delegate to other people and what you can delete completely
  • discuss study plans with family and/or friends. Make sure everyone sees it as your ‘work’
  • learn from your experiences. Do your study plans work? Do you need more/less time to complete tasks?

Our academic support services can help you find which ways of studying work best for you and develop your study skills.

Other support 

You may also find you suffer more disruption to your life than a non-mature student. For example, due to ill health, changing patterns of work, pregnancy, bereavement or other crises. Your personal tutor will help provide pastoral and academic support if anything disrupts your studies.

If you still aren't coping, we have a counselling service within the College to provide confidential, individual counselling for anyone who wants help. A counsellor can help you talk through your problems, think of ways to cope with them and give you a new perspective.


Comment on this page

Did you find the information you were looking for? Is there a broken link or content that needs updating? Let us know so we can improve the page.

Note: If you need further information or have a question that cannot be satisfied by this page, please call our switchboard on +44 (0)1784 434455.

This window will close when you submit your comment.

Add Your Feedback